After opening its first offline store in India on May 11 in Bengaluru, Xiaomi has launched a new entry-level Android smartphone today in India. The Xiaomi Redmi 4, which succeeds the ultra-popular Redmi 3s and Redmi 3s Prime, comes with a newer processor and a better display. As opposed to last year, where the fingerprint reader was included only in the higher-priced Redmi 3s Prime, the Chinese smartphone brand has included the rear-facing fingerprint sensor in all the variants of the Redmi 4. The company has continued with metal unibody design for its new entry-level smartphone. The phone has better build quality, rounded corners, and 2.5D glass, resulting in a better in-hand feel.
Three variants of the Xiaomi Redmi 4 have been launched in India. The cheapest variant features 2GB RAM and 16GB of internal storage. The mid-tier priced Redmi 4 is equipped with 3GB RAM and 32GB of internal storage. The highest-priced Redmi 4 (Prime) comes with 4GB RAM and 32GB of internal storage. All the variants feature a 5-inch IPS LCD display has a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels (296 ppi) and a contrast ration of 1000:1. The rear-facing camera, which is equipped with a 5P lens with F2.0 aperture, phase-detection autofocus, and LED flash, can record 1080p videos at 30fps. The front-facing camera has an aperture of F2.2.
The Xiaomi Redmi 4 runs Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow with MIUI 8 on top of it. It uses the newer Snapdragon 435 processing platform from Qualcomm. The platform consists of a 1.4GHz octa-core 64-bit Cortex-A53 CPU, Adreno 506 GPU, 4G LTE connectivity with VoLTE, and a myriad of other connectivity features, including GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, and Bluetooth 4.1. The phone also comes with a microUSB 2.0 port (for charging and data transfer) with USB OTG compatibility and a 3.5mm headphone jack. All variants of the device come packed with a beefy 4,100mAh non-removable battery.
Xiaomi Redmi 4: Specifications
- Platform: Android 6.0.1 with MIUI 8
- Display: 5-inch IPS LCD, 1280 x 720 pixels, 296 ppi, 1000:1 contrast ratio, 2.5D curved glass
- Front-Facing Camera: 5MP, F2.2 aperture, 720p HD Video Recording
- Rear-Facing Camera: 13MP, phase-detection autofocus, F2.0 aperture, 5P lens, 1080p Full HD video recording
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 435 with 1.4GHz 64-bit octa-core Cortex-A53 CPU and Adreno 505 GPU
- Memory & Storage: 2GB RAM + 16GB Storage / 3GB RAM + 32GB Storage / 4GB RAM + 32GB Storage, hybrid microSD card slot (uses SIM 2 slot)
- Sensors: Accelerometer, Ambient Light, E-Compass, Fingerprint, Gyroscope, Proximity
- Connectivity: Hybrid Dual-SIM, 4G LTE (with VoLTE), GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Wi-Fi b/g/n, Wi-Fi Direct, Bluetooth 4.1, microUSB 2.0 (with OTG) and 3.5mm headphone jack
- Battery: 4,100mAh, non-removable
- Dimensions & Weight: 139.3 x 69.9 x 8.65 mm, 150 g
Xiaomi Redmi 4: Price & Availability In India
The Xiaomi Redmi 4 will be available for purchase through Amazon and Mi.com, and the pricing starts from ₹6,999 for the variant with 2GB RAM and 16GB of internal storage. The variant of the Redmi 4 with 3GB RAM and 32GB internal storage is priced at ₹8,999, while the variant with 4GB RAM and 64GB internal storage is priced at ₹10,999 in India.
- Xiaomi Redmi 4 (2GB RAM + 16GB Storage): ₹6,999
- Xiaomi Redmi 4 (3GB RAM + 32GB Storage): ₹8,999
- Xiaomi Redmi 4 (4GB RAM + 64GB Storage): ₹10,999
The Xiaomi Redmi 4 will be offered in Matt Black and Gold. The phone can be purchase in India through Amazon.in as well as Mi.com starting May 23 at 12PM via the flash sales model. This smartphone will also be available through the company’s Mi Home store. You can pre-book the device starting 5PM today to buy it from the Mi Home store.