We are sure that Xiaomi was working on a successor to the Redmi Note 5, and that it could have a screen with minimal bezels surrounding it. Well, those rumours are now turning out to be true. Two new budget Xiaomi smartphones with model numbers MEE7 and MET7 have appeared on TENAA’s certification database. The Xiaomi MEE7 and MET7 are assumed to be the Redmi 5 and the Redmi 5 Plus.
As per the information available on TENAA’s website, the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 features a 5.99-inch display with 2160 × 1080 pixels resolution and an aspect ratio of 18:9. Under the hood, it is rumoured to be equipped with the Snapdragon 630 or the Snapdragon 660 chipset and 3GB or 4GB of RAM. Both chipsets have 64-bit octa-core CPUs. It will pack 32GB or 64GB of internal storage. It will also have a microSD card slot for storage expansion (up to 128GB) and a fingerprint reader.
As far imaging is concerned, the phone is supposed to sport a 12-megapixel rear-facing camera and a 5-megapixel front-facing camera. The Redmi Note 5 will run Android 7.1 Nougat out-of-the-box with the MIUI 9 on top of it. The device will come with a dual-SIM car slot (with support for 4G LTE and VoLTE). It also comes with Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, GPS, A-GPS, GLONASS, Bluetooth, USB Type-C port, and a 3.5mm audio jack.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 5: Expected Specifications
- Display: 6-inch, IPS LCD, Full HD+ resolution (2160 × 1080 pixels), 18:9 aspect ratio
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 630/660
- Software: Android 7.1 Nougat
- Memory: 3GB/4GB RAM
- Storage: 32GB/64GB, microSD card slot (compatible with up to 128GB cards)
- Rear-facing Camera: 12-megapixel, PDAF, dual-tone LED flash, 4K video recording
- Front-facing Camera: 5-megapixel, 1080p video recording
- Connectivity: Dual-SIM card slot, 4G VoLTE, GPS, GLONASS, dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth, IR port, USB Type-C port, 3.5mm audio jack
- Battery: 4000mAh, non-removable
- Extras: Fingerprint Reader
The Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 will come in nine colour variants: Black, Blue, Gold, Grey, Pink, Red, Rose Gold, Silver, and White. Xiaomi is now reportedly the second largest smartphone brand in India, and is going neck-to-neck with Samsung in terms of market share. It recently launched the high-end Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 in India to compete with the OnePlus 5 and the bezel-less Samsung Galaxy S8+.
Also Read: Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 Initial Impressions