The famous US-based gaming laptop and peripheral brand Razer has officially announced its first-ever smartphone. The company had been teasing the smartphone over the past few week. Well, what does the Razer Phone offer? Razer claims that its first smartphone is made for gamers. It comes packed with an impressive list of features and hardware specifications, including a Snapdragon 835 chipset, a whopping 8GB of RAM, two front-facing stereo speakers, a dual-camera and a USB-C port instead of a 3.5mm audio port. These specifications go well with normal smartphone users, too.
Razer Phone: Features, Specifications
The Razer Phone, in short, is an improved version of the Nextbit Robin. If you can remember, Razer had acquired the cloud-focused smartphone brand Nextbit back in January 2017. We can clearly see that the Razer Phone’s design has been inspired from the Nextbit Robin’s design. However, it now comes with a metal unibody design, carved out of an all-aluminium CNC chassis. The phone features front-facing speakers which are certified by THX, an audio expert firm that was acquired by Razer last year. The phone has a fingerprint sensor that placed on its power button. The phone measures 158.5 x 77.7 x 8mm and weighs 197g.
Specifications-wise, the Razer Phone comes equipped with a 5.7-inch IGZO LCD display with QHD resolution (1440 x 2560 pixels) and 120Hz refresh rate. The Wide Color Gamut-compatible screen is protected from scratches and scuffs using a Corning Gorilla Glass 3 panel. It is the first phone in the world to feature a screen with 120Hz refresh rate, which means that everything looks buttery smooth. The UltraMotion technology synchronises the display with a higher frame rate, ensuring that the battery life remains largely unaffected.
Under the hood, the Razer Phone uses the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 chipset (with an octa-core CPU and Adreno 540 GPU), which is coupled with 8GB of RAM and 64GB of on-board storage. The storage can also be expanded via a microSD card slot by up to an additional 2TB. In terms of imaging, the device offers a dual-camera setup which consist of a 12MP sensor and a 13MP sensor. The 12MP sensor has a wide-angle lens and f/1.75 aperture lens. The 13MP sensor has a telephoto lens and f/2.0 aperture. The camera setup features phase-detection autofocus, dual-tone LED flash, and 4K video recording. On the front side, it is equipped with a 8MP selfie shooter with f/2.0 aperture.
The whole package is fuelled by a 4000 mAh battery with support for Qualcomm QuickCharge 4.0+. Connectivity-wise you get dual-band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, and a USB-C port. On the software side, the Razer Phone boots Android 7.1 Nougat out of the box, and it comes with a customised version of the highly popular Nova Launcher app drawer. The device is priced at $699 (about Rs. 45,127), and it will soon go on sale in Canada and the US starting November 17, 2017. Additionally, the brand also has released a special limited edition variant of the Razer Phone with the company’s iconic green logo on the rear, and it will be available starting November 17 as well.
Razer Phone: Specifications
- Display: 5.7-inch IGZO LCD display with 1440 x 2560 pixel resolution, Wide Colour Gamut, 120Hz refresh rate, Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (with octa-core CPU and Adreno 540 GPU)
- Software: Android 7.1 Nougat (with Nova Launcher Prime Razer Edition app launcher)
- Memory: 8GB LP-DDR4 RAM
- Storage: 64GB internal storage (expandable up to 2TB via microSD card)
- Rear-facing camera: 12MP wide-angle camera (f/1.75 aperture) + 13MP telephoto camera (f/2.0 aperture), PDAF, dual-tone LED flash, 4K video recording
- Front-facing camera: 8-megapixel front camera, f/2.0 aperture, 1080p video recording
- Connectivity: Dual-SIM card slot, 4G, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, GPS (with A-GPS and GLONASS), Bluetooth 4.2, NFC, USB-Type C port
- Dimensions: 158.5 x 77.7 x 8mm
- Weight: 197g
- Extras: two front-facing stereo speakers, Dolby Atmos, THX Certified, side-mounted fingerprint sensor
- Battery: 4000mAh with Qualcomm QuickCharge 4.0+ support