The Android 8.0 Oreo beta programme was available for the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8+ in India a few months back, wherein interested consumers could sign up for testing the beta firmware on their compatible phones before the company rolls out the stable update. However, no such programme was launched by Samsung for the Galaxy Note 8 (review), and there was a delay in the rollout of Android 8.0 Oreo update for the device.
Last week, Samsung unexpectedly rolled out the stable version of Android 8.0 Oreo update for Galaxy Note 8 users in France. The same update has now been released to Indian users of the S-Pen toting phablet (SM-950F).
Galaxy Note 8: Android 8.0 Oreo update
The Galaxy Note 8 Android 8.0 Oreo update (firmware version N950FXXU3CRC1) has been released in India in a phased manner, so don’t be surprised if you don’t see the update on your phone right away. You can download the new firmware (4.25GB) manually from SamMobile’s database. Apart from Oreo, the stable update brings the latest security update for the month of March 2018. Apart from this, the handset has also been updated to the latest version of Samsung Experience 9.0.
Moving onto the other features which you can see in the update are the ones that were released with the Oreo update for the Galaxy S8 and the Galaxy S8+, including the Picture-in-Picture mode, app shortcuts, notifications channels, notification dots, faster boot-up time, customisable keyboard, new set of emojis, updated stickers, support for dual apps, better AoD widgets, and more Edge Lighting themes.
Galaxy Note 8: Features
The Galaxy Note 8 was launched by Samsung in August 2017 as a successor to the ill-fated Galaxy Note 7. The Galaxy Note 8 sports a bezel-less 6.3-inch Infinity Display with a QHD+ Super AMOLED panel, HDR10 compatibility, and 18.5:9 aspect ratio. Under the hood, the phone is equipped with either Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 835 chipset or the company’s own Exynos 8995 processor, depending on the region. There’s 6GB of RAM and 64GB or 128GB of onboard UFS 2.1 storage.
The device features a dual-12MP rear-facing camera setup, consisting of a primary sensor with 26mm wide-angle lens and a 52mm telephoto lens. Both sensors are equipped with optical image stabilisation (OIS). The primary sensor features dual-pixel phase-detection autofocus (DP-PDAF), and both sensors can record 4K videos at 30 frames per second. The phone can click images with background blur using the Live Focus mode, and the amount of blur can be adjusted later. On the other hand, the front-facing camera of the Galaxy Note 8 uses an 8MP sensor with autofocus, ƒ/1.7 aperture, and QHD video recording.
Connectivity-wise, the phone features a dual-SIM card slot, 4G LTE, VoLTE calls, dual-band Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct, Google Cast, Samsung Connect, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C port, and a 3.5mm headphone port. The phone is powered by a 3500mAh battery that supports Fast Adaptive Charge and fast wireless charging (over Qi and PMA). Last but not least, the Note 8 also offers a fingerprint reader at the rear, an iris scanner for better device and information security, Samsung Pay, an S Pen stylus, and IP68 dust and water resistance.
Samsung Galaxy Note 8: Specifications
- Display: 6.3-inch Super AMOLED display, 1440 x 2960 pixels resolution, 18:9 ratio, Corning Gorilla Glass 5
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (octa-core Kryo 280 CPU + Adreno 540 GPU) or Exynos 8895 (octa-core CPU + Mali-G71MP20 GPU)
- Software: Android 7.1 Nougat (when released), upgradeable to Android 8.0 Oreo
- Memory: 6GB RAM
- Storage: 64GB/128GB UFS 2.1 internal storage, microSD card slot (compatible up to 2TB)
- Rear-facing camera: Dual-12MP (26mm wide-angle + 52mm telephoto), DP-PDAF, ƒ/1.7 aperture, dual-OIS, 4K videos, dual-tone LED flash, Bokeh Mode
- Front-facing camera: 8MP, ƒ/1.7, autofocus, QHD video recording
- Connectivity: Dual-SIM support, 4G LTE, VoLTE, dual-band Wi-Fi a/b/g/n/ac, Wi-Fi Direct, Google Cast, Bluetooth 5.0, NFC, USB 3.1 Type-C port, 3.5mm headphone port
- Extras: Fingerprint Reader, Iris Scanner, Samsung Pay, S Pen, IP68 Certification
- Battery: 3500mAh, Adaptive Fast Charge
- Colours: Deep Sea Blue, Gold, Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Star Pink