Yesterday, Chinese smartphone maker Oppo formally announced the entry of its brand new sub-brand Realme in India. The first handset from the house of Realme was officially launched as well. The new handset from the company is the very aptly named Realme 1 and as you might be probably aware, it has been designed and built from the ground up to compete against the likes of the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 series and the ASUS Zenfone Max Pro. As opposed to the Zenfone which more or less replicated the spec sheet of the Redmi Note 5 Pro, the Realme 1 takes a slightly different approach to counter the competition. In this article, we will take a closer look at the Realme 1 and also talk about the top 5 features on the handset.
Realme 1: Top 5 Features
- Probably the first thing you would notice about any handset or piece of hardware would be the design. The Realme 1 boasts of a very premium looking design consisting of an aluminium body. The highlight, however, is the diamond cut design of the back panel that helps the Realme 1 stand apart from the crowd of me to smartphones that usually crowd this segment.
- The second feature of the handset has definitely has to be the fact that it gets a processor that has been designed to handle AI (artificial intelligence) apps. The phone uses the Helio P60 SoC that has its own dedicated artificial intelligence coprocessor. In sheer layman’s term, this will help features like facial recognition and will also help the chip manage apps more efficiently.
- Let us now talk about the third important feature on the Realme 1. This handset from Oppo gets support for dual SIM cards and also allows the user to expand the storage capacity of the handset by using memory cards. However, unlike its competitor from Xiaomi which uses a hybrid SIM tray, the Realme 1 gets a triple slot tray that can take in two SIM cards and one microSD card at the same time. This essentially means that you will not have to give up one feature to use the another. For example, on the Redmi Note 5 series, to use the microSD card, you will need to give up on dual SIM capability – which is unacceptable in 2018.
- Apart from the aforementioned triple SIM card slot, the phone supports dual 4G standby. What this means is that users will be able to use two 4G SIM cards with 4G VoLTE enabled and usable on both these SIM cards at the same time. On most other phones when your primary SIM card is on a 4G network, the secondary SIM card is only able to access 2G or 3G networks. That, however, is not the case with the Realme1.
- The last feature that we will discuss about the Realme 1 is the fact that it supports face unlock. It is generally noted that while face unlock capability is a great feature to have, the implementation and the overall user experience is not generally very smooth. Thanks to the expertise from OnePlus (which is owned by the same company that owns Oppo and Vivo) the Realme 1 gets an uber fast face unlock sensor that is capable of unlocking the phone in just 0.1 seconds.
Realme 1: Other Specifications
The Realme 1 as mentioned earlier in this article is powered by the powerful Mediatek Helio P60 SoC that integrates an AI coprocessor. This chip uses the Arm Mali-G72 MP3 GPU for graphics. You are already aware of the three RAM and storage versions that are on offer. The camera department on the handset is handled by a 13-megapixel primary camera at the rear and an 8-megapixel front-facing camera. Being an Oppo under the skin, the phone runs ColorOS atop an Android 8.1 Oreo core.
Realme 1: Price in India, Offers, First Sale
Prior to the launch of the Realme 1, it was thought that this phone would only come in a single 6GB RAM + 128GB option. However, it has been announced that the Realme 1 would also be offered in a 3GB RAM + 32GB, as well as a 4GB RAM, + 64GB version. The prices of all these versions undercut the competition by a slight margin. Here are the prices, in case you were wondering
Realme 1 3GB RAM + 32GB: Rs. 8,990
Realme 1 4GB RAM + 64GB: Rs. 10,990
Realme 1 6GB RAM + 128GB: Rs.13,990
As for offers, you can avail an extra 5% off if you buy the handset uses an SBI card. Jio users can also get benefits worth Rs.4,850 upon the purchase of the Realme 1. The phone also comes with a no-cost EMI option and ships with a screen protector and case. You can also avail upto 80% off on a Kindle subscription if you buy the Realme 1.
The smartphone will be up for sale on 25th May 2018, 12 PM onwards exclusively via Amazon.