Huawei’s online brand Honor recently launched the new Honor Play in China. This is the company’s try at making a budget gaming smartphone. Made for gaming smartphones are starting to become a thing. Razer announced the gaming-focused Razer Phone last year, Xiaomi came out with the Black Shark, and more recently, Asus unveiled the ROG Phone.
Now, unlike Razer and Asus, Huawei doesn’t really have any background in the gaming world. However, the company wants to give its users a powerful smartphone that can play the latest games without any problems, but one that isn’t very expensive.
There isn’t anything really unique with the new Honor Play smartphone. It doesn’t have a 120Hz display like the Razer Phone, or RGB lighting and vapour chamber cooling system as seen on the Asus ROG Phone. You do get a few software tweaks here and there to give users a smooth gaming experience. Nevertheless, let us look at some of the best features of this phone.
Honor Play: Top 5 Features
- Huawei has packed in their latest Kirin 970 processor inside the Honor Play, giving it a very good processor to start with. This is coupled with up to 6GB of RAM for smooth performance. Only 64GB of storage is available though, which is not really that big of a deal as a microSD slot allows up to 256GB of storage.
- The Honor Play features a software enhancement called “GPU Turbo” technology, which will apparently overclock the GPU to provide stable frame-rates throughout the game. Now, overclocking something will obviously lead to more heat generation, so we are not sure if that’s going to be a problem here.
- Honor also claims to have included a new type of haptic feedback for in-game actions such as explosions, gunfire, collisions, etc. Known as “4D” haptic feedback, you will apparently feel the vibrations when you play.
- Gaming requires good sound as well. Therefore, Honor has included it’s Histen audio tech in the phone that will provide realistic 3D game sounds with 7.1 channel virtualization. That sounds good, doesn’t it?
- Finally, a good large display is also key when it comes to gaming phones. The Honor Play gets a 6.3-inch Full HD+ display with a 19:9 aspect ratio and a ‘notch’. We’re not really sure about the inclusion of a ‘notch’ here, as it may be a problem while gaming.
Honor Play: Price in India
Now, if you wanted to get your hands on the Honor Play, you are going to need to wait. As of now, the phone is only available in China. It goes on sale on June 11th for a starting price of 1,999 yuan for the 4GB RAM variant. If you want the 6GB RAM version, that will cost you 2,399 yuan. Looking at the Chinese pricing, we expect the Honor Play to be priced around Rs. 20,999 for the 4GB variant. Isn’t that brilliant for a slightly gaming-focused smartphone?
Honor Play: Other specifications
As this phone is focused on gaming, other aspects of the phone didn’t receive much attention. For example, the Honor Play features a very okay dual-camera setup at the back. You get a main 16MP sensor with f/2.2 aperture and another 2MP unit with f/2.4 aperture. On the front, you get a 16MP f/2.0 selfie shooter that features some AI enhancements to make you look better.
The battery, on the other hand, is quite big. It comes with a 3,750 mAh battery, which is enough to power the phone through several rounds of PUBG. The phone also supports fast charging and comes with a headphone jack as well. On the software side, you get Android 8.1 with EMUI 8.2 on top. It also has 4G VoLTE support, NFC, Bluetooth 4.2, dual-SIM slot, and a rear-mounted fingerprint sensor.