Xiaomi recently announced the all-new Redmi 6A at an event held in Beijing, China. This is a budget smartphone that is the successor to last years Redmi 5A. The phone was launched alongside the Redmi 6, which is another entry-level smartphone from the company. The Redmi 6A is the cheaper variant out of the two.
Redmi is the online brand of Xiaomi, and it has been doing very well in India. The company usually sells out of Redmi phones within seconds during online flash sales. The Redmi 6 and 6A haven’t yet been announced in India, but they should soon make it to our shores. Until then, let us discuss some of the best new features of this phone.
Redmi 6A: Top 5 Features
- The Redmi 6A features a 5.45-inch LCD display with an HD+ resolution and an 18:9 aspect ratio. Yes, you do get a taller display with slimmer bezels compared to last year’s 5A. The device isn’t much larger than the 5A either, despite the bigger display.
- This is the first Redmi device in a long time to be equipped with a MediaTek chipset. Because of a legal dispute with Ericsson, the Delhi High Court had barred Xiaomi from selling MediaTek powered smartphones in India. That is no longer the case, and we should soon get the Redmi 6A with the 12nm MediaTek Helio A22 processor in India. This is a powerful entry-level chip, and it is coupled with 2GB of RAM, and 16GB of internal storage.
- In terms of camera, the phone features a single 13MP unit at the rear with an f/2.2 aperture, PDAF, and an LED flash. Quite straightforward. However, the MIUI 9 software on board the phone does add some AI features to the camera, which should result in good looking photos. On the front, you get a 5MP selfie shooter.
- The phone features Face Unlock, allowing users to unlock the phone using their face. This isn’t very secure, but it does work quite well and is as fast as using a fingerprint sensor.
- Powering the entire phone is a 3000mAh battery, which is not as large as last years Redmi 5A, but does the job. The Helio A22 processor is very efficient and therefore should provide a days battery with regular use.
Redmi 6A: Other Key Specifications
The front camera on the Redmi 6A also supports Portrait mode, which is great for a phone in this price range. The phone features a Hybrid Dual-SIM slot that allows for either two SIM cards or one SIM card and a microSD card. You can add up to 256GB of external storage via the microSD slot.
In terms of software, the phone runs MIUI 9, which is based on Android 8.1 Oreo. Xiaomi has optimized MIUI for the Redmi 6A, resulting in up to 30 percent less memory usage by system apps. There’s plenty of AI feature embedded throughout the OS, providing a better user experience.
The Redmi 6A supports 4G VoLTE, has Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, GLONASS, Beidu Positioning, AGPS, ambient light sensor, digital compass, proximity sensor, accelerometer, and a microUSB port for charging and data transfer. However, the phone doesn’t come with a fingerprint sensor.
Redmi 6A: Expected Price in India, Launch Date
Now, as we mentioned earlier, the Redmi 6A has only been announced in China as of now. It should make it to the Indian subcontinent very soon, and we expect it to be priced well below Rs. 7000.
The Redmi 6A is priced at CNY 599 in China, which equates to Rs. 6,300. There is only one variant of the phone, with 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM. The phone is available in four color choices; Cherry Blossom Powder, Sand Gold, Bali Blue, and Platinum Silver.