As Asus brings its first high-end flagship to India on July 9, the anticipation and interest around it is loud and clear. Touted as a major challenger to the ‘flagship killer’ OnePlus 6, the Asus Zenfone 5Z has the potential to shake things up in the smartphone market of the country. The smartphone will be up for sale exclusively on Flipkart on July 9. So before you decide to buy, here’s all you need to know about the phone, from its best features to the offers available.
Asus Zenfone 5Z: Top 5 Features
- Packed with artificial intelligence: This new smartphone comes with cameras supported by artificial intelligence (AI) to help your shots come out clearer and sharper. The AI tools can identify 16 different settings to adjust camera settings accordingly, and also keep track of your manual editing patterns, to later suggest relevant tools and options. The AI charging promises a new approach to charging your phone’s battery where it helps elongate the life of the battery by slow-charging between 80 and 100 percent at night. The display also keeps active so long as you are looking at it.
- Neat display: The Asus Zenfone 5Z will be the first Asus phone to get a 90% screen-to-body ratio. Except for a small notch at the top, the phone is almost all display, with the fingerprint scanner accommodated in the rear. A Corning Gorilla Glass 3 and metal design wrapping a 6.2-inch HD+ screen give it an impressive look, and the front camera doesn’t take up much of the screen space. The screen also fits a face recognition feature for unlocking the phone, so it does follow the Apple iPhoneX closely in the way it looks from the front. Which isn’t a bad thing, after all.
- All about power: The Asus Zenfone 5Z comes power-packed with the flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC chipset, which makes this smartphone the cheapest one in India housing it. It’s main rival, the OnePlus 6, is a good Rs 5,000 costlier. A hybrid micro-SD card slot gives this phone a humungous expandable storage of up to 2TB, while the internal storage itself is up to 256GB, depending on the variant you pick up. The standard one also comes ready to fight, with a 6GB RAM and 64GB internal storage, a la the enemy.
- Pixels matter: The rear, main camera on the Asus Zenfone 5Z promises great picture clarity, with a primary 12MP sensor and a secondary 8MP sensor. The vertically-aligned dual camera offers a wide f/1.8 aperture and impressive 1.4um pixels. The camera features include image stabilisation in video mode, dual-pixel phase detection autofocus, and four-axis optical image stabilisation for photo mode. As in OnePlus 6, the secondary camera sensor supports the primary one in portrait mode.
- New-age battery: The 3,300 mAh battery on the Asus Zenfone 5Z is as good as it gets in this range of smartphones, with dash charging and special night charging options. Wireless charging isn’t an option, but it is anyway too much to ask for this price range. The cable for charging is also the new-age Type-C, so you can move from a OnePlus phone easily.
Asus Zenfone 5Z: Other Specifications
Among other notable specs of the Asus, flagship are a front camera aperture of f/2.0, a ZenUI operating system based on Android Oreo, an 8GB RAM variant, two audio speakers, and high-res audio support for both wireless and wired earphones.
Asus Zenfone 5Z: Price In India, Offers
The standard variant of the Asus flagship phone, with 6GB of RAM and 64GB of internal storage, will sell for Rs 29,999. The higher-end 8GB+128GB variant is for Rs 32,999, and the top-end 8GB+256GB variant costs Rs 36,999. That makes all variants of the smartphone substantially cheaper than the corresponding OnePlus 6 variants, but the handset is limited to only the Midnight Blue and Meteor Silver colours.
In exclusive launch offers on Flipkart, you’ll get Rs 3,000 flat discount for purchasing the phone via ICICI Bank credit or debit cards, nearly 80% off on mobile protection, tempered glass and back cover for Rs 229 each, and a no-cost EMI option.