Renowned analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has issued a new note to investors that predicts Apple is working on updates across its entire product line for the second half of 2018.
Kuo is incredibly accurate when it comes to predicting Apple’s movements and his new report sees expected refreshes for iPhone, iPad, Mac mini, MacBook Pro, iMac, and Apple Watch. While the note reveals the moves Apple is expected to make in the second half of 2018, much of what is included in the note isn’t new material but does reinforce previous rumors. It provides an overview of what can be expected from Apple and also confirms a few facts about each product line that could be useful for those interested in buying one of the products.
- iPhone – There are three iPhones in the works, two OLED models in 5.8 and 6.5-inch sizes and one lower-cost LED model that will be available in a 6.1-inch size. All three will feature Face ID and upgraded A12 processors. While the two OLED models will have dual-lens cameras, the lower-cost model will feature a single-lens camera.
- iPad Pro – Apple is working on two new 11 and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models that are equipped with a full-screen design similar to the iPhone X and no Home button, with Apple to replace Touch ID with Face ID.
- Mac mini – Kuo didn’t have a lot of information to share on the Mac mini, but he says a processor upgrade is expected. The Mac mini has not been updated for more than 1,300 days, aka over 3 and a half years. It’s not clear if additional upgrades will be included, such as a redesigned chassis, but at least some kind of refresh is on the horizon.
- MacBook Pro – Processor upgrades expected.
- MacBook – Processor upgrades expected.
- New Low-Priced Notebook – Kuo believes Apple is designing a new low-priced notebook. He originally said that this would be in the MacBook Air family, but now has changed his mind. Previous rumors have suggested this machine could be a 12-inch MacBook, so Apple may be planning to expand the MacBook lineup with an additional low-cost option to replace the MacBook Air.
- iMac – Kuo says to expect a significant display performance upgrade, but he does not go into detail about what this will entail and we haven’t heard additional iMac rumors at this time. He says the iMac, like other Macs, will get a processor refresh.
- Apple Watch – Apple is working on two new Apple Watch models for 2018 that will have bigger displays and enhanced heart rate detection features. The two Apple Watch models will measure in at 1.57 inches (39.9mm) and 1.78 inches (45.2mm), roughly 15 percent bigger than in the current models. Rumors have not been clear on whether the Apple Watch itself will be larger or if the bigger display will come from a reduction in bezels.
Kuo doesn’t go into details of Apple’s other offerings but does predict the next generation of AirPods and AirPower will go into mass production in Q3 of 2018.
While these are obvious rumors so need to be taken with a pinch of salt, Kuo has an extremely good track record.
Drop us a comment below – what do you think of the upcoming Apple rumors?