Internet Domains May Soon Be Available in 22 Indian Regional Languages, Thanks to ICANN

You could soon register domains in Telugu, Hindi, Tamil, Marathi, etc.

internet browser

You can soon have a domain in your own regional language. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has been on the job to support domain names in numerous languages spoken in India, including the 22 scheduled languages of the country.

ICANN: Work is on For Nine Indian Scripts

The organization is on the job to support domain names in several languages spoken in the country. It is working on nine scripts that are expected to cover almost all the major regional languages. ICANN India head Samiran Gupta said, “Work is on for nine Indian scripts – Bengali, Devanagari, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Kannada, Malayalam, Oriya, Tamil, and Telugu. These scripts are expected to cover many different local languages.” 

ICANN: Getting Stable Domains for Non-English Speaking People

It’s been a while that ICANN started working towards developing the ground rules for a stable and secure access of the top-level domains for the globally used scripts. This will help the people with a little or no knowledge of English to go online and access the website’s content in the language of their origin or choice. For instance, you can enter the domain name in Hindi to get Hindi content rather than typing a domain name in English for serving the same purpose. for now, you have to make do with entering the domain name in English only, but not for long. The ICANN India head said, “About 52 percent of the world population have access the Internet now and ICANN is contributing towards bridging the digital divide. He further added, “Many of the remaining 48 percent are non-English speaking people and those who do not have the ability to type in English. The work will allow domain names to be available for these people in their languages.”

You can search content in the regional language on Google. But, the effort from ICANN is to also enable the domain name in the local language that will make the existing process easier and would also enable the system to publish regional language content that is being searched by the users.

Community-Based Pannel Working on Setting up Rules for Domain Names

The ICAAN head confirmed that the work of defining the rules for the domain names in India’s regional languages is being handled by a community-based panel called the ‘Neo-Brahmi Generation Panel’. The panel consists of more than 60 technical experts and linguists from countries including India, Nepal, Bangladesh, Singapore, and Sri Lanka, where these languages and scripts are profoundly used. The ICAAN head further said, the proposals for six scripts – Devanagari, Gujarati, Gurmukhi, Kannada, Oriya, and Telugu – are already released for public comment. One can review these proposals and provide comments by visiting. “Currently, there are 4.2 billion Internet users globally which may rise to 5 billion by 2022”, he added.

ICANN is responsible for coordinating the procedures and maintenance of numerous databases related to the namespaces and numerical spaces of the Internet. The non-profit organization ensures that the network keeps a stable and secure operation. The primary principles of operation of this non-profit organization include helping preserve the operational stability of the Internet. ICANN is also responsible for promoting the competition and also to achieve broad representation of the global Internet community. Furthermore, the organization also develops policies it deems appropriate to maintain the internet operating decorum worldwide. And, now with its continuous efforts towards promoting the use of the internet for the non-English speaking crowd, we will be having domain names in regional languages soon enough.

What would be your preferred language for a domain name? Share with us in the comment section below. Stay tuned with Gear by MySmartPrice for more updates.

VIAFinancial Express

Gargi’s inclination towards gadgets developed over the four years that she invested on her Electronics and Communication degree. She last worked at HeyMojo Inc., where she lead the product marketing team and designed chatbots for the top QSRs around the world. Currently, she is a regular contributor at MySmartPrice and plans on enlightening readers with interesting news on smartphones and telecom industry. Oh, and did we forget to mention that she is also a growth hacker.