AMD just revealed the newest line of Radeon GPUs as they lifted the veil on the new RX 7900 series, built on the AMD RDNA 3 architecture to deliver up to 1.7x higher 4K gaming performance than previous flagship GPUs. The RX 7900 XTX and the RX 7900 XT graphics cards will follow the blueprint of AMD “Zen”-based and “Ryzen” and will feature an advanced AMD chiplet design.
One of the cornerstones of the new line of GPUs is their focus on delivering a solid performance on the back of an efficient power system. The RDNA 3 architecture’s chiplet design combines 5nm and 6nm process nodes, each optimized for specific jobs. Compared to the older RDNA 2 architecture, the new GPUs deliver up to 54% more performance per watt and it also features what AMD claims to be the world’s fastest interconnect linking the graphics and memory system chiplets at up to 5.3 TB/s2.
The RX 7900 Series features a bunch of cool new tech, including a FidelityFX Super Resolution 2.2 and “Adrenalin Edition” technology. The new GPUs also support DisplayPort 2.1, capable of delivering ultra-high framerates and stunning visuals at up to 4K 480Hz and 8K 165Hz refresh rates.
AMD RX 7900 Series Price and Availability
The AMD RX 7900 XTX is priced at USD SEP $999 (India Price is currently unknown) while the RX 7900 XT is priced at USD SEP $899. The GPUs will be made available through from December 13, 2022, from board partners including ASRock, ASUS, Biostar, Gigabyte, MSI, PowerColor, Sapphire, Vastarmor, XFX, and Yeston beginning mid-December.
AMD RX 7900 Series Graphics Cards Feature A Whole Bunch of New Tech
— Lisa Su (@LisaSu) November 4, 2022
The newest line of AMD GPUs offers up to 96 new unified compute units, second-generation Infinity Cache™ technology, and up to 24 GB of high-speed GDDR6 memory with up to a 384-bit memory interface. The graphics cards are expected to be available from December 13, 2022, from board partners including ASRock, ASUS, Biostar, Gigabyte, MSI, PowerColor, Sapphire, Vastarmor, XFX, and Yeston beginning mid-December.
AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX
- Compute Units: 96
- GDDR6 Memory: 24 GB
- Game Clock (GHz): 2.3
- Boost Clock18 (GHz): Up to 2.5
- Memory Interface: 384-bit
- Infinity Cache: 96 MB
- TBP: 355W
- Price (USD SEP): $999
AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
- Compute Units: 84
- GDDR6 Memory: 20 GB
- Game Clock (GHz): 2.0
- Boost Clock18 (GHz): Up to 2.4
- Memory Interface: 320-bit
- Infinity Cache: 80 MB
- TBP: 300W
- Price (USD SEP): $899
New Technologies in the RX 7900 Series
- FidelityFX Super Resolution (FSR) 2.2 – The new iteration of the FSR features enhancements to improve visual quality and is expected to arrive in the first title on November 8, 2022 Forza Horizon 5.
- FSR 3 – The upcoming version of FSR features Fluid Motion Frames technology, expected to deliver up to 2x more FPS compared to FSR 2 in select games.
- HYPR-RX – Targeted in the first half of 2023, a one-click preset which enables various AMD Software features – including AMD Radeon Anti-Lag, AMD Radeon Boost, and AMD Radeon Super Resolution technologies – to work together at the same time, reducing latency and delivering up to 85% higher FPS in select games.
It will be interesting to see how the new GPUs will be priced in India, seeing as competitor NVIDIA has priced their newest GPUs quite exorbitantly. There is a good opportunity for AMD to come in lower than NVIDIA in India and swoop up a number of prospective gamers.