- AMD Radeon RX 7900M launched as the most powerful Radeon laptop GPU ever.
- The new Radeon graphic card is also the first laptop GPU based on a chiplet design.
- The latest GPU makes its debut on the AMD Advantage Alienware M18 laptop.
AMD has launched its fastest-ever laptop GPU called Radeon RX 7900M. The newest GPU is said to be AMD’s fastest mobile laptop gaming processor to date and also the first-ever chiplet-style GPU. AMD is positioning the latest offering against NVIDIA’s RTX 4080 mobile chip. The AMD Radeon RX 7900M will make its debut exclusively on the AMD Advantage Design Alienware M18 laptop, which joins the other Ryzen 7000 series Alienware M18 models. Let’s take a look at all the details of the newest Radeon GPU from AMD.
AMD Radeon RX 7900M Launched as the Fastest Ever AMD Radeon Laptop GPU
With the new AMD Radeon RX 7900M, the chipmaker is targeting high FPS 1440p (QHD) gaming instead of 4K to encourage laptop gaming. The new GPU also comes with FSR 3 (FidelityFX Super Resolution), which is similar to DLSS3 from NVIDIA and promises a boost in frame rates when playing elite titles like Starfield and Forespoken. Speaking of NVIDIA, AMD has positioned RX 7900M directly against the RTX 4080 mobile chip. According to AMD, the RX 7900M is 7% better than the 4080 on average in terms of frame rates and offers 4GB extra GDDR6 RAM.
The flagship AMD GPU comes with 72 unified AMD RDNA 3 compute units (CU) with up tp 2.09GHz clock speed and 16GB GDDR6 RAM running across a 256-bit memory interface. Being a powerful GPU it also requires a lot of power, 180W of TDP to be exact. This is a huge bump compared to the 110 TDP of the RTX 4080. The power requirement on the AMD flagship can range between 160W to 200W with SmartShift Max.
The Radeon RX 7900M also features second-generation ray tracing accelerators, two dedicated AI accelerators per CU, AV1 encode, and more.
Dell Alienware M18 AMD Advantage Design with Radeon RX 7900M Price, Specifications
The Dell Alienware M18 will be the first laptop to be powered by the AMD Radeon RX 7900M. Below is the list of specifications of the powerful gaming laptop.
- Display: 18-inch, FHD+/QHD+, 165Hz/480Hz, 3ms, 300nits, 100% DCI-P3 Colour Gamut, 1000:1 contrast ratio, ComfortView Plus, AMD FreeSync, Dynamic Display Switching
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 7945HX R9, 16-core/32 threads, 80MB cache, up to 5.4GHz
- GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900M, 16GB GDDR6, 180W TGP, 200W with SmartShift Max
- RAM And Storage: up to 64GB Dual Channel DDR5 4,800MHz, up to 8.5TB Tri-storage configuration
- Battery and Charging: 97Wh, 6-cell, 330W charging
- Software: Windows 11 64-bit
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6E, Bluetooth 5.2, Ethernet, 3.5mm jack, 3 Type-A USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports, 3 Type-C USB 4 Gen 2 ports with PD and DisplayPort 1.4, HDMI 2.1, mini-display port, SD card slot.
- Dimensions: 319.9 x 410.3 x 25.1mm, 4.23kg
- Other features: Vapor chamber cooling, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, Alienware FHD camera, dual-array mics, Windows Hello, Alien FX lighting, Alienware M Series per-kley AlienFX RGB keyboard, multi-touch gesture trackpad
- Price: Starting at $2,799 (~Rs 2,32,500)