- Apple recently refreshed the 24-inch iMac with an M3 chip.
- Apple has officially debunked rumours of a 27-inch iMac being under development.
- Apple discontinued the Intel-powered 27-inch iMac in 2022.
Apple recently held its oddly-timed product launch event Scary Fast where it introduced new MacBook Pro models. It also took the stage to take wraps off the newly refreshed 24-inch iMac powered by M3 chip. However, many fans were still in hope for a bigger 27-inch iMac that we have heard rumours about on multiple occasions. There is disappointing news for those fans as Apple has now officially debunked all those rumours.
27-inch iMac With Apple Chip Is Not Coming
Starlayne Meza, an Apple PR representative, shared an official statement with The Verge confirming Apple has no plans for a 27-inch iMac version powered by its own chip. There is no clarification as to why the decision has been taken but it seems like the company is focusing only on the 24-inch model.
Apple used to offer a 27-inch iMac powered by Intel processors until it was discontinued in 2022. There were hopes that it would replace it with an Apple chip-powered variant but as to everyone’s disappointment, this is not happening anymore. The company has instead recommended using a Studio Display paired with a Mac Studio or Mac Mini for a bigger display experience.
The latest confirmation means users looking for an all-in-one desktop experience featuring Mac have only one option i.e. 24-inch iMac. However, it will not be the ideal experience for every user out there. This is because the refreshed model comes with a 4.5K resolution, the base M3 chip, and only up to four USB-C ports.
However, Apple’s statement only talks about the 27-inch iMac which means there could still be a model in development with an even bigger display. There have been whispers about a 32-inch iMac Pro being prepared for release. It is expected to have a mini-LED display and the launch is speculated for late 2024 or in 2025. The only thing to note is if this is true, it will surely be a lot more expensive as compared to what a 27-inch iMac would have been.
24-inch iMac Specifications:
- Display: 24-inch 4.5K Retina Display (4,480 x 2,520 pixels) with 500 nits brightness, True Tone, and Wide (P3) colour gamut
- Processor: Apple M3 chip with 8-core CPU and 8-core/10-core GPU
- RAM: 8GB RAM (configurable to 16GB or 24GB)
- Storage: 256GB SSD (configurable to 512GB or 1TB) and 256GB/512GB SSD (configurable to 1TB or 2TB)
- Camera: 1080p FaceTime HD camera
- Ports: One variant with two Thunderbolt 4 ports and another variant with two USB 3 ports and two Thunderbolt 4 ports
- Input compatibility: Magic Keyboard and Magic Mouse
- Wireless Connectivity: Bluetooth 5.3 and WiFi 6E
- Operating System: macOS