Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms for sharing short videos and photos. The platform, which was launched in 2010, has gained immense popularity during recent years. We have seen multiple celebrities and big names joining the platforms to interact with their fans. The platform also rolls out new features at a regular interval of time, which makes it an even more fun experience whether be it Stories or Reels and more. However, with the recent talks about privacy, user data and more, it has become difficult to trust social media platforms like Facebook, WhatsApp, Instagram, and more.
This could be one of the reasons why people are looking to temporarily deactivate or delete their account from Instagram. If you are one of those who want to delete or deactivate your Instagram account, you come to the right place. In this article, we will tell you a step-by-step guide on how to temporarily deactivate or delete an Instagram account using a simple process.
How to Temporarily Deactivate your Instagram account?
It is important to note that when you disable your account, your profile, photos, comments, and likes will be hidden until you reactivate it. Furthermore, you can only disable your Instagram account from a computer or a mobile browser. So, if you just wish to disable or deactivate your Instagram account, you need to follow these steps.
- Log in to instagram.com from your computer or mobile browser.
- Click your profile image and then go to Profile > Edit Profile.
- There you will find Temporarily disable my account at the bottom. Click on it.
- You need to select an option from the drop-down menu next to ‘Why are you disabling your account?’. Select the reason and then re-enter your password.
- Click on temporarily disable an account to finish the deactivation process.
Furthermore, if you wish to reactivate your Instagram account, you can simply login in back. Moreover, the social media platform also provides different options to keep your posts private or one can even block users, in case you don’t want to deactivate your account.
How to Delete Instagram account permanently?
You need to know a few things before deleting your Instagram account. First of all, when you delete your account, the photos, videos, comments, likes and followers will be permanently removed. Furthermore, once the account is deleted, you cannot sign up again with the same username or add the username to another account. So, can first download your photos and posts from Instagram before deleting the account. In order to do so, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the Instagram application or website. Click on your profile picture in the top corner and then click Settings.
- Go to Privacy and Security and then head towards Data Download. Click on the Request Download option.
You need to enter the email address and the company will send you an email with a link to download the data. Do note that it might take up to 48 hours to get the download link.
Once you have downloaded all the data of your Instagram account, you can follow these steps to permanently delete your account:
- Log into instagram.com from your computer or mobile browser. Go to the Delete Your Account page.
- Select an option from the dropdown menu next to ‘Why are you deleting your account?’ and re-enter your password.
- Now click or tap on Permanently delete my account to complete the deletion process.
The company also gives you an option to delete a different account. All you need to do click on the username in the top-right of the Delete Your Account page and then tap on Settings and Log Out. You then need to log back in as the account you want to delete and follow the directions above.
It is important to note that it will take up to 90 days from the beginning of the process to completely remove your Instagram account. If you change your mind, you can retrieve your account within 30 days of the request. However, all the information will be permanently deleted after 30 days.
Thanks for reading till the end of this article. For more such informative and exclusive tech content, head over to our Facebook page