iPhone 15, 15 Plus to be Made in India by Tata Group: Report

The conglomerate will only assemble 5 per cent of Apple’s 2023 iPhone models.

  1. Tata Group has reportedly acquired Wistron’s production line in India.
  2. Tata Group will make two iPhone 15 models in India.
  3. The iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max will be made by Foxconn, Pegatron and Luxshare.


iPhone 15 rumours and leaks have been floating on the web for a while. Apple is rumoured to launch four new iPhones this year at the September event. Most of the leaks have been talking about the hardware specifications and features of the iPhone 15 series. The leaks suggest that all four iPhones are getting upgrades in many areas. A new iPhone 15-related report that might benefit India has surfaced online.

According to a new report by TrendForce, Apple is shake hands with the Tata Group to assemble iPhone 15 series in india. The report stated that the Tata Group will assemble two out of the four iPhones launching later this year in India. This will make the Tata Group the fourth contract manufacturer for Apple after Foxconn, Pegatron, and Luxshare.

Tata Group has reportedly acquired Wistron’s Indian production line, which has resulted in India’s largest conglomerate to manufacture the iPhone 15 series. Wistron reportedly is gearing up for its exit from the Indian market. Therefore, since Tata has acquired the company’s production line, it will become the new contract partner for iPhone manufacturing in India. 

The TrendForce report stated that the Tata Group will assemble a tiny chunk of the iPhone 15 and 15 Plus for Apple in India. The conglomerate will only assemble 5 per cent of Apple’s 2023 iPhone models. Foxconn will have the majority share for the 2023 iPhone production, followed by Pegatron and Luxshare. This could be a pilot move from Apple and if things go as planned, it could pave way for the Tata Group to manufacture a higher percentage of iPhones in 2024.

Foxconn is one of Apple’s oldest contract manufacturers. For the upcoming 2023 lineup, Foxconn is said to manufacture nearly 70 per cent of the total iPhone 15 models for Apple. Luxshare will make about 25 per cent of the supply chain for the baseline model, whereas the Tata Group will assemble the rest five per cent. 

Also Read: iPhone 15 Pro Max Camera Setup Tipped to Feature Periscope Lens; Might Offer up to 6x Zoom

Foxconn will assemble nearly 60 per cent of all iPhone 15 Plus models in 2023, followed by Pegatron (35 per cent) and  Tata Group (5 per cent). The report also revealed that Foxconn and Pegatron will assemble the 15 Pro models. Foxconn will assemble 70 per cent of the 15 Pro models, whereas Pegatron will manufacture the remaining 30 per cent of units. The top-end 15 Pro Max will be made by Foxconn and Luxshare. Foxconn, again, will assemble the majority here with nearly 70 per cent of the Pro Max models. Luxshare, on the other hand, will make 25 per cent of the production for the highest-end iPhone.

Apple has been reiterating how important India — the world’s second-largest smartphone market — is for the company. Apple has been witnessing growth in terms of volume and revenue in India year-on-year. Despite that, Apple continues to have a minor 5 per cent share in the Indian smartphone market. To strengthen its hold further, the company opened two Apple Stores in India. The first one was opened in Mumbai’s BKC, whereas the second Apple Store is in New Delhi’s Saket area. 

Also Read: Apple BKC and Saket Stores: How Retail Stores Can Open New Frontier for Apple in India?