Xiaomi India, today, announced that Mi counterfeit products worth Rs 33.3 lakh were seized from a total of seven suppliers. Out of the seven, four counterfeit suppliers were nabbed from Chennai, while the remaining three were from Bengaluru. The fake products were seized after Xiaomi India filed a complaint at the local police station. Subsequently, raids were conducted in the market in the months of October and November. The counterfeit products that were seized included mobile back cases, headphones, power banks, chargers, and earphones, etc. Here is how you can identify the counterfeit products of Xiaomi.
Xiaomi counterfeit products worth Rs 33.3 lakhs seized in Chennai and Bengaluru
Xiaomi, in its emailed statement, said that it filed a complaint with the local police station under its anti-counterfeit program. Soon after the complaint, the police conducted raids in October and November. The police, along with the company’s representatives, seized counterfeit Midevices from three prominent shops in the area.
Over 3,000 products consisting of mobile back cases, headphones, power banks, chargers, and earphones, were found. The shop owners from both the cities were arrested for allegedly selling fake Mi India products worth Rs 24.9 lakhs and Rs 8.4 lakhs, respectively. Upon interrogation, it was found that these suppliers have been managing this business for a long time and have sold multiple unauthorised products in the market.
Counterfeit products not only degrade the user experience but are also a big threat to consumer health and safety. Moreover, these fake products can also jeopardise privacy & data security and in some cases can also be hazardous.
Xiaomi stated that it created a special task force that is responsible for constantly monitoring the market and acting against such unauthorised entities and counterfeiters.
Here is how you can identify counterfeit products of Xiaomi:
- Some products carry security codes that can be checked on mi.com to identify the authenticity of the product- eg. Mi Powerbanks, all audio products.
- Packaging and quality of retail boxes are very different. You can visit any Mi Home/ Mi Store to validate the original packaging.
- Check for the original Mi India Logo on the product and you will know if that is authorised. The original logo of packaging can be seen on mi.com
- All authorised fitness products such as Mi Band(s) will have Mi Fit app compatibility.
- Unauthorised cables are often flimsy and break easily.
Consumers are advised to purchase genuine products from authorised stores and partner outlets. It is also advisable to get phone repairs and services done through Authorised Service centres and use genuine parts only for their safety and reliable performance of the device.