- Nothing OS 2.0 will be unveiled alongside the Nothing Phone (2) in July.
- Nothing OS 2.0 will be the second major update for the Nothing Phone (1).
- Nothing’s software team comprises around 100 members.
Nothing is gearing up to launch its second smartphone – the Nothing Phone (2). The Nothing Phone (2), as per the official announcement, will make a debut on July 11. Ahead of the Nothing Phone (2) launch, Nothing has now announced that its existing smartphone – the Nothing Phone (1) will be upgraded to Nothing OS 2.0 in the coming months.
Carl Pei took to social media channels to make an announcement for the same and revealed that the Nothing OS 2.0 for the Nothing Phone (1) is coming by the end of August. Pei also added that software support is very important to Nothing. The company has already confirmed that the Nothing OS 2.0 will be unveiled alongside the Nothing Phone (2) in July.
Software support is very important to us. Nothing OS 2.0 will be coming to Phone (1) users by the end of August.
— Carl Pei (@getpeid) June 13, 2023
However, Carl didn’t specify if this is the timeline for Nothing Phone (1) Nothing OS 2.0 beta rollout or stable rollout. To those unaware, the Nothing OS 1.5, based on Android 13, was released in the month of December 2022 for the Nothing Phone (1). However, the Nothing OS 1.5 for the Nothing Phone (1) was rolled out in the month of February.
In case Nothing releases the Nothing OS 2.0 Beta update for the Nothing Phone (1) in August, the stable update should also roll out by October. Nothing is yet to reveal details about the upcoming Nothing OS 2.0 but recently the company announced that it has about 100 members in its software team. The company had just a five members software team that delivered the Nothing OS 1.5.
Nothing’s focus with Nothing OS 2.0 will be on functional aesthetics and the company wants to start almost from scratch for Nothing OS 2.0. It is not clear if the upcoming Nothing OS 2.0 will be based on Android 14 or Android 13. We will have to wait for a few more weeks to learn more about Nothing OS 2.0. In the meanwhile, let us take a quick recap of Nothing Phone (1) specifications and features.
Nothing Phone (1) Specifications and Features
- Display: 6.55-inch OLED Display with Full HD+ (2400 × 1080 pixel) resolution, 120Hz Refresh Rate, 240Hz Touch Sampling Rate, 10-bit Colours, 1200 nits peak brightness, HDR10+, and Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 778G+ with Adreno 642L GPU
- Memory and Storage: 8GB/12GB LPDDR5 RAM and 128GB/256GB UFS 3.1 Storage
- Software: Nothing OS 1.5, based on Android 13, Upgradable to Android 14
- Cameras: 50MP Sony IMX766 Sensor with f/1.88 aperture and OIS, 50MP Samsung ISOCELL JN1 Sensor with ultra-wide functionality (114° field of view)
- Front Camera: 16MP Sony IMX471
- Battery and Charging: 4500mAH Battery, 33W Fast Charging (USB PD3.0 support), USB Type-C Charging Port, 15W Qi Wireless Charging, 5W Reverse Wireless Charging
- Dimensions: 159.2 × 75.8 × 8.3mm
- Weight: 193.5g
- Audio: Stereo speakers, USB Type-C Audio Port
- Security: In-display Fingerprint Scanner
- Others: IP53 Splash Resistant
- Colour Options: White and Black