PAN card or Permanent Account Number is one of the most important documents when it comes to finances in India. PAN number is provided by the Indian Income Tax Department. PAN is a ten-character alphanumeric unique identifier. A PAN is necessary for filing income tax returns and on some occasions, this may come in handy as an ID card, but a PAN card is not considered proof of Indian citizenship as It is also issued to some foreign nationals.
There are a few ways to apply and get a PAN card. One of the easiest ways is to visit any nearby PAN centre and give out all the necessary details and get the card delivered to your house. The other way is to apply for a PAN online using the official site and the third way is to download the form from the website and send it via post and get the PAN.
Once you get the PAN Card, your PAN will be linked to all the necessary accounts and documents. There is no way to change the number, but you can change your name or DoB, in case there is an error. As the PAN card is very important, it is extremely important to keep the document up to date and error-free, since incorrect information on the document might get you in trouble. Likewise, it is also important to keep the original PAN card safe with you and use it whenever it is needed. However, sometimes you might lose your PAN card during travel or around your house or maybe someone stole your wallet. Whatever the reason may be, the good news is that you can request to reprint and reissue the PAN card.
In this guide, we will take a look at the princess to reprint the PAN card in India and everything you need to know about the whole process.
What is a Duplicate PAN card?
A duplicate PAN card is the same as the original PAN card with the same name, DoB, and number 一 all of which were on the original card, which you have lost recently. The duplicated or reprinted PAN card will be of the same quality as the original one and can be used in the same way as the original one. When you apply for a duplicate PAN card can’t be edited like changing your name or Date of Birth.
How to Re-Print lost Pan Card Online
- Visit the NSDL online service website here
- Under “Apply Online”, select “Changes or Correction in existing PAN/Reprint of PAN Card as Application Type
- Next, select your category (Individual/ associate, company, trust, etc)
- Select your title and enter your Last name, DoB, Email ID, and Mobile number 一 which are all mandatory
- Select your Citizenship
- Enter your PAN (ten-character)
- Enter the captcha
- Re-check the details you have entered and click on Submit
- Once you click on the submit button, a token number will be generated and sent to your email-id. Note that token number for future reference.
- A new screen will appear to submit your PAN application. You will get three options 一Choose the first one (“Submit digitally through e-KYC & e-Sign (paperless)”)
- Under “Whether a Physical PAN Card is required?”, select Yes to get a physical copy of your PAN card
- Next, fill in all the mandatory details on the page
- Click on Next
- Here, Fill in your address details and click on “Next”
- In the last page, you have to attach the documents as all the details will be taken from your Aadhaar Card automatically.
- Enter your name, and place and click on “Submit”
- Now, you will be redirected to the payment page, complete the payment
- Once the payment is made an acknowledgement will be generated with the 15-digit number to track the status of your PAN Card
You can track your application status with the 15-digit acknowledgement number.
How to Reprint Duplicate PAN Card using Aadhaar Card
- Visit this Online service NSDL webpage
- Enter your PAN number, Aadhaar card, and DoB
- Enter the GSTIN Number (optional)
- Read the declaration and tick the mark to proceed further
- Enter the captcha and click on Submit
- On the new page, your PAN details will be displayed
- Select the options to receive OTP on Email ID or Mobile Number
- Tick the checkbox and click on “Generate OTP”
- Enter the OTP and click on the ‘Validate’ button
- Once OTP is entered, you will be redirected to the payment page
- You will have to pay Rs 50 and submit your request
- Once your payment is successful, your PAN reprint application will be submitted and you will be able to download the receipt as well.
How to Re-Print a Duplicate PAN Card Offline
In case you want to skip the online procedure, you can request for duplicate PAN card using the offline method as well. All you need to do is download a form, fill it and submit it.
While filling out this form, the applicant should not select any of the checkboxes on the left margin of the form. However, the check box for Item no. 7 Address for communication will be selected by default as this address will be updated in the records.
- Open Browser
- Request for New PAN Form
- Download the form
- Mention the PAN card number of your existing card
- Fill in all the details that are mandatory in BLOCK LETTERS
- Submit the form at the nearest NSDL collection centre
You will also need to attach 2 passport size photographs to the application. You can find the nearest NSDL collection centre by visiting this website. In case you don’t want to go to the NSDL collection centre, you can post the form to the following address:
INCOME TAX PAN SERVICES UNIT(Managed by NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited)
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No. 341, Survey No. 997/8, Model Colony, Near Deep Bungalow Chowk, Pune – 411 016
Eligibility to Re-Print a Duplicate PAN Card
Now that you know how to request for reprint/duplicate, here is when you can re-print a duplicate PAN card copy.
- You can apply for a Reprint of your PAN card only when there is no change in PAN information
- When your PAN card is lost or stolen you can request for reprint
- When you have misplaced your original PAN and you’re not able to find it
- When your PAN card is damaged and the number, name, or date of birth is not visible clearly
- Anyone who is having a valid PAN card can apply for a reprint (To apply for a duplicate, you must have a PAN at first)
In case you have to change your name on the PAN card, please refer to the below guide.
Documents Required to Re-Print Duplicate PAN Card
You don’t have to attach any documents as all details will be fetched automatically. However, to fill out forms, you will need your PAN card number and Aadhaar number. There is no requirement of submitting any application form along with supporting documents for processing the PAN card reprint request.
How to surrender a duplicate PAN card
In case you get the new reprinted PAN card and you get back the old/lost PAN card, you have to write a letter to the Pune address mentioned above and If you lost your PAN card by theft, you have to file an FIR at the nearest police station. The FIR copy needs to be sent along with the documents of the duplicate PAN card.
What is the cost of a duplicate PAN card?
To get a duplicate copy of your PAN card, here is how much you will have to spend as a payment towards the facility.
- Rs 50 if you reprint Duplicate PAN Card using Aadhaar Card method
- Rs 101 (inclusive of taxes) for delivery to an Indian address with an e-Sign paperless application/e-Sign scanned-based application
- Rs 107 (inclusive of taxes) for delivery to an Indian address with the Physical Mode application
- Rs 1,011 for a foreign address with e-sign based application
- Rs 1,017 for a foreign address with Physical Mode application
How long does it take to get a duplicate PAN card?
You will receive your PAN Card within 2-3 weeks in India once you have submitted your application online/offline.
How Can I check the status of my PAN?
You can visit the status tracking website here and enter the acknowledgement number and check the latest status of your website.
What happens if I lose my PAN card?
In case your PAN card is stolen, it can be misused. If you lost your PAN card by theft, you have to file an FIR at the nearest police station.
Can a lost PAN card be misused?
Yes, using your PAN card details many frauds can be performed like taking a loan from banks or apps, which requires only PAN verification. So, in the worst case using your PAN, someone can take a loan against you and it might affect your CIBIL score. However, if there is any OTP-based verification, these frauds will not be possible.
Thanks for reading till the end of this article. For more such informative and exclusive tech content, like our Facebook page