UAN is a 12-digit number assigned to every employee in India on their first job. It is assigned by India’s Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). This number stays with the person even when they change from one job to another. In this article, let us talk about everything to know about the UAN number, including what is a UAN number, why you need a UAN number, the documents required for a UAN number, how to generate a UAN number and more.
What is a UAN Number, and Why Do you Need One?
The Universal Account Number or UAN is a 12-digit number or identifier that the Ministry of Labour and Employment assigns you to contribute to the Employee Provident Fund (EPF). There are several reasons you need a UAN Number:
- UAN helps you find all the PF and PF account details in a single place.
- For employers, UAN helps them find your PF history.
- With the help of UAN, you can transfer and withdraw PF anytime you want.
- Your PF can be managed by yourself and your employer using the UAN online portal.
- UAN is independent of your employer. It will remain the same even if you change your jobs.
- With this number, you can keep track of the amount credited to your PF account every month by your employer.
How to Find/Check UAN Number?
Here’s how you can check the status of your UAN online:
- Go to the EPFO Member e-SEWA portal.
- Click on the ‘Know your UAN’ button on the bottom right.
- Enter your Mobile Number and write down the Captcha.
- Click on the Request OTP.
- Enter the OTP and validate.
- If not, you can select the Aadhaar card to get the UAN. Enter your Aadhaar card details now.
- Enter your name, date of birth, mobile number and the captcha code.
- You can now see the ‘Show My UAN’ button. Clicking on it will show your UAN on the screen.
You don’t need to go through all these steps to get your UAN. You can get it as an SMS if it is linked to a mobile number.
To get your UAN via SMS, send the following:
- EPFOHO UAN to 7738299899
You will also get all the details on your EPFO records, including your Date of Birth, Aadhaar, PAN, Last Contribution, Total PF Balance and more.
Documents Required for Generating a UAN
These are all the documents required for generating a UAN online:
- Bank account details: Details such as account number, IFSC code and branch name.
- ID proof: Any national identity card with photos such as the driving license, passport, voter ID, Aadhaar or SSLC book.
- Address proof: Any recent utility bill in your name, such as an electricity bill, rental/lease agreement, ration card, or any ID proof with your current address.
- PAN card: PAN card must be linked with UAN.
- Aadhaar card: Aadhaar is linked with the bank account and mobile number since it is required.
How to Generate UAN?
Here are the steps to generate UAN for the first time.
- Visit EPFO Member e-SEWA portal.
- Click the ‘Direct UAN Allotment by Employees’ option under the Important Links section.
- Enter your Aadhaar Linked Mobile number and Captcha in the space given.
- Click Generate OTP button.
- Enter the OTP you received on the next page and proceed.
- You’ll be asked if you are employed in any Private Company/Factory/Establishment. Select the correct option and click the ‘Submit’ button.
- Select the Employment Category from the drop-down menu:
- In the establishment/company/factory covered under EPFO.
- In the establishment/company/factory not covered under EPFO.
- Next, select No from the question ‘Do you know the PF Code number of the establishment’ if you don’t know it.
- Next, select the Identity Proof Type from the dropdown menu.
- Pay slip
- ID card no.
- Gate pass no.
- ESIC card
- Next, upload the ID proof using the upload document option.
- Click ‘Submit’.
- Enter your Aadhaar number, enter the captcha shown on the page, and click on Generate OTP.
- Enter the OTP and check the tickbox for Consent and click Submit.
- Your UAN will be generated based on your Aadhaar now.
How to Activate UAN?
Now let us take a look at how to activate your UAN number. Here are the steps:
- Visit the EPFO Member e-SEWA website.
- Under Important Links, click on the Activate UAN link.
- On the next page, enter the details such as:
- UAN or Member ID
- Aadhaar number
- Date of birth
- Mobile number
- Enter the captcha and click on the consent checkbox.
- Click on the ‘Get Authorization Pin’.
- You’ll get an OTP on your phone number.
- Enter the OTP on the next screen, and verify the OTP.
- Activate the UAN on the next page.
What are the Features and Benefits of UAN?
These are the following features and Benefits of UAN:
- The UAN centralises the EPF data of employees in the country.
- You can check the PF balance anytime in your account.
- You can request withdrawal of EPF online anytime (if you match the requirements).
- The UAN doesn’t change even if you change employers.
- For employees, UAN can let them know your PF history easily.
- UAN removes the possibility of the employer holding back or not contributing to the PF account of an employee.
How to Link UAN with your Aadhaar card?
UAN should be linked with Aadhaar. Here’s how to do it:
- Visit the EPFO Member e-SEWA portal.
- Log in to your account using your UAN and password.
- Click on the Manage button under the KYC option.
- On the next page, select the ‘Aadhaar’ button to link your UAN with your Aadhaar.
- Enter your Aadhaar number.
- Your Aadhaar will be verified using Aadhaar OTP.
- After verification of OTP, you’ll get the message that your Aadhaar is verified.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) How can I know my UAN number by SMS?
Send EPFOHO UAN to 7738299899, and you’ll get the UAN as an SMS.
2) How can I find a UAN number with my Aadhaar number?
You can find your UAN with your Aadhaar number online with the EPFO Member e-SEWA portal.
3) Is the UAN number and Aaadhaar number the same?
No, they’re not the same. Aadhaar is a unique 12-digit unique identity number issued to all citizens of India. UAN is the unique 12-digit number given to employees for PF by EPFO.
4) Is the UAN number free?
Yes, it is free.
5) Can the employer find the UAN number?
Yes. The employer can find the UAN number from the EPFO employers portal.
6) Are the PF ID and UAN numbers the same?
No, your PF number is not the same as your UAN. The PF number is a 22-digit alphanumeric, while UAN is a 12-digit one.
7) What is the UAN username?
Your UAN number itself is the UAN username.
8) How long is the UAN number valid?
The UAN number will be valid forever; it will remain the same even when you change jobs.
10) Can we create UAN without a PF account?
If you are a new employee without a PF account, you can create a UAN online.