The vaccination drive for COVID-19 is going in full gear in India. The second wave of COVID-19 has resulted in a catastrophic situation in the country. This is the reason why many people are looking to get vaccinated so that they can be safe from this deadly pandemic. Currently, there are two COVID-19 vaccines available in India: Covaxin and Covishield. The former is developed by Bharat Biotech, while the latter is produced by the Serum Institute of India and developed by AstraZeneca. Earlier, only people above 45 years of age were eligible for getting vaccinated.
However, the government has now revealed that people from 18 years to 45 years of age can get COVID-19 vaccination. The government also gives you a certificate when you get your first vaccination. So, the question here is. What is a COVID-19 vaccination certificate? Where it is used? Can I download it free from the website or app using mobile number? In this article, we are going to clear all the doubts about the COVID vaccination certificate.
What is a Vaccination Certificate and Why Is It Required?
As we said, the Vaccination Certificate is the official document from the government of India that proves that a person has been vaccinated. The certificate is issued when the person is vaccinated for the first time. The certificate carries a 13-digit beneficiary reference ID that is used to get the details of the vaccinated person.
The certificate has all the major details like name, age, gender, vaccine name (Covishield or Covaxin), date of dose, next due date, vaccination centre/hospital name, and more. The COVID-19 vaccination certificate can come in handy in multiple scenarios. If you are travelling from one state to another, you can show the vaccination certificate as proof that you have been vaccinated. Furthermore, if you have taken the first dose (Covishield or Covaxin), the free certificate can help you to get the second dose without much hassle.
List of Online Websites and Apps to Download COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate
- Aarogya Setu
How to Download COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate From www.cowin.gov.in Website
CoWIN is the government application and web portal that allows you to register and book appointments for COVID vaccination. The web portal comes loaded with the feature to schedule an appointment for the COVID-19 vaccine (Covishield or Covaxin) at your nearest centre. Interestingly, it also allows you to download the COVID vaccine certificate free. Here’s the link and how you can download it:
- Go to https://www.cowin.gov.in/home website on your web browser.
- Click on the Sign in button and enter your registered mobile number.
- An OTP will be sent to your number, enter it in the box and log in to the portal.
- There, you will see when you took your first or second vaccine.
- Go to Certificate tab under your name and click on the download button to get the soft copy of COVID vaccine certificate.
How to Download COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate From UMANG App
UMANG is yet another government application that helps you to download the COVID vaccine certificate. The process is fairly simple and one can follow these instructions to download the certificate:
- Go to Google Play Store or Apple App Store and download the UMANG application (Play Store link and App Store link)
- Open the application and click on the CoWIN tab present in the application under ‘What’s New’ section.
- There you can tap on the Download Vaccination Certificate.
- You then need to enter your mobile number and enter the OTP in the dialogue box.
- Then, confirm the beneficiary name in the tab and click on Download to get the COVID-19 vaccine certificate.
How to Download COVID Vaccination Certificate From Aarogya Setu App
The Aarogya Setu application is probably one of the best application for tracking COVID-related information. It not only tells you the COVID-19 statistics and helps you diagnose early symptoms, but also helps in downloading the COVID vaccine certificate. Here’s how you can download it:
- Go to Google Play Store (link) or Apple App Store (link) and download the Aarogya Setu application.
- Register or Sign In using your mobile number and head over to the CoWIN tab at the top.
- Click on Vaccine Certificate and enter the 13-digit beneficiary reference ID.
- Now click on to Get Certificate and download it on your smartphone
How to Download COVID Vaccination Certificate From Digi-locker App
Moving on, you can also download the COVID-19 vaccine certificate from Digi-Locker application. The app allows you to store all the important documents like Aadhaar Card, a Driving License, and more. One can access it anytime using the application. The app also has links to different government ministries like the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. With this, you can easily download the certificate. Here’s how:
- Download the Digi-Locker application on your smartphone. (Play Store link and App Store link)
- Register yourself on the application by adding your name, date of birth, gender, mobile number, six digit security PIN, email ID and Aadhaar Number.
- Now go to the Central government tab and search for the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
- There you will find the Vaccine Certificate option.
- Enter the 13-digit reference ID and download the COVID vaccine certificate.
Benefits of Getting a COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate
There are various benefits of getting a vaccination certificate. To start with, those who are vaccinated (Covishield or Covaxin) for COVID-19 can get travel both domestically and internationally with fewer restrictions as compared to the ones who are not vaccinated. This is primarily because the certificates have been aligned with the Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR), meaning that they are globally acceptable vaccination proof. One can easily check and verify the details of vaccination digitally. So, if you are planning to travel to other states, showing the vaccination certificate will be valid for entry in the state. This also means that one need not provide the RT-PCR test when they arrive in another state.
How to Request a Change in the COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate
The government has revealed that users can request any changes in the COVID-19 vaccination certificate. So, if you need to correct any errors like name, date of birth, gender, and more, here’s what you need to do:
- Go to cowin.gov.in and login using your registered mobile number.
- Open the certificate on the website and you will see an option to ‘Raise an Issue’.
- Click on it and then you will be asked what changes you want in the certificate. There will be three options: Name, year of birth, and gender.
- Select the correct option and click on Continue and follow on-screen instructions to make the changes in your COVID-19 vaccination certificate.
Thanks for reading till the end of this article. For more such informative and exclusive tech content, head over to our Facebook page