- WhatsApp app for Mac can now be downloaded from App Store.
- Once installed, WhatsApp app will work as any other native app on Mac.
- Here’s how to download the WhatsApp app for Mac from the Mac App Store
A new version of the WhatsApp app, which can be directly downloaded from the Mac App Store, has been rolled out for macOS users worldwide. Meta-owned WhatsApp announced this in a post on X.
To recall, WhatsApp first released a beta version of its app for macOS earlier this year and it was built with Mac Catalyst. Following the beta release, a stable version was rolled out in August with group audio and video calling features, though it could only be downloaded from the WhatsApp website.
WhatsApp For Mac Now Available Via App Store
Mac users can head to the Mac App Store to download the WhatsApp app. Given the app is based on the iPhone version, it retains most functionalities as the WhatsApp app for iOS.
These include group audio calling with up to 32 people or video calling with up to eight people, receiving incoming notifications even with the app closed, the ability to check call history and more. Of course, the app remains end-to-end encrypted like on other platforms.
this message is for Mac users 🖥️
— WhatsApp (@WhatsApp) November 6, 2023
Even though users can access their WhatsApp accounts on their Mac even when their phone is not around, do keep in mind that the app uses companion mode. This means that users will still need a WhatsApp account set up on their smartphone to use it to log in to WhatsApp on their Mac.
How to Download And Install WhatsApp for Mac From App Store?
- Users will need to visit the Mac App Store on their Mac devices.
- Type ‘WhatsApp Messenger’ in the Search tab.
- Click on ‘Get’ and then ‘Install’.
- Once downloaded, click on ‘Open’.
- Once the WhatsApp App opens, click on ‘Get Started’.
- The app will show a QR Code, which needs to be scanned using the WhatsApp app on the user’s smartphone.
- To scan the QR code, users can head over to WhatsApp Settings > Linked devices > Link a device on their smartphone.
- Once scanned, users will need to choose from options of seeing notifications when they get messages or previewing message text inside notifications. This is similar to the iOS version of the app.
- When installed, WhatsApp will work as any other native app on the Mac.
It is important to note that the WhatsApp App for Mac is compatible with macOS 11.0 or later, as well as iOS 12.0 or later.
WhatsApp For iPad Could Launch Soon
WhatsApp native app for iPad is also in the works, according to reports. A beta version of the WhatsApp Beta is already available on TestFlight, which is Apple’s online service for testing out apps. WABetaInfo also posted screenshot of the native WhatsApp for iPad interface, which revealed the same split-screen interface as the Mac WhatsApp app.
As of now, there is no official word on when the WhatsApp app for iPad will be rolled out, but considering the beta version is already available, we expect a stable launch in the coming months.
To get the WhatsApp app on iPad, users will need to install WhatsApp for Beta on their iPhone as well as iPad first. Next, they are advised to follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp on the iPad to bring up the QR code.
- Scan the QR code from the iPhone by navigating to WhatsApp Settings > Linked devices > Link a device.
- After linking, users should be able to use WhatsApp on iPad independently.