WhatsApp recently announced its new feature called the Chat Lock which allows you to secure particular chats and keep them in a special Locked folder in WhatsApp on your phone. The messaging app has offered end-to-end encryption for messages and now you have another layer of security with the Chat Lock feature. Locking your chats is very useful when you share the phone with other people and you might be getting messages in the background. WhatsApp ensures that all the locked chats will not show any notifications as well.
What is Chat Lock Feature on WhatsApp?
The new feature from the instant messaging application allows users to lock their chats and keep them in a special folder so that other cannot see them. The feature allows users to check and keep private chats behind a passcode. WhatsApp has confirmed the feature is rolling out to all users across the globe and not limited to beta users. So if you have been looking for ways to enable the chat lock for one of your close friends then you have come to the right place, as we help you with a step-to-step guide to enable Chat Lock on WhatsApp.
How to Enable WhatsApp Chat Lock Feature on Android
- Open WhatsApp on your phone
- Now open the chat for which you want to enable the chat lock
- As you can see below, click on the profile photo of the contact and scroll down to find chat lock
- Enable Chat lock using your phone’s PIN or fingerprint ID
- Chat lock has been enabled for this contact
- Now pull down the main WhatsApp chat feed on your phone as you can see here
- Click on Locked Chats folder and open it using your PIN or fingerprint ID
- You can now access the chat locked behind the folder
How to Enable WhatsApp Chat Lock Feature on iOS
Users can also enable the WhatsApp chat lock feature on any iOS device. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open the WhatsApp application on your iPhone.
- Go to the chat that you wish to hide from others.
- Click on the profile picture of the person and go down the Chat Lock option.
- Toggle it on and the app will ask you to use Face ID as a passcode.
- Simply follow the instructions and the chat will be locked.
- One can access the chat by going to the Locked chats option. Most importantly, you can only view the after unlocking it with Face ID.
WhatsApp clearly mentions that the chat lock feature is only compatible with the mobile app for now, so you won’t see it on other Linked devices like desktops or iPad. Having said that, the chat lock is not only limited to personal contacts but you can also secure WhatsApp groups behind this secure channel on the messaging app.
The feature only suggests you can use the fingerprint ID to unlock the chat folder, which is why WhatsApp has not released the feature for iPhone users who only have the Face ID for biometric protection.