Xiaomi Mi A1 Allegedly Explodes While Charging Next to Sleeping Owner

A Xiaomi Mi A1 reportedly exploded while being charged. Thankfully, however, the owner of the phone was not injured when the incident occurred.


A few weeks back, it was reported that a Samsung Galaxy Note 9 had caught fire inside a purse while the owner of the smartphone was standing in an elevator. The woman has filed a lawsuit against Samsung for the incident and is seeking compensation for damages suffered. Another incident of a smartphone exploding has come to light, this time involving a Xiaomi Mi A1.

Xiaomi Mi A1 Reportedly Explodes While Charging

The incident was shared on the MIUI forum by a member who claims his friend’s Xiaomi Mi A1 exploded while charging. To support his claims, the member has also posted images showing the damaged Mi A1. According to his post, the Mi A1 was purchased by his friend eight months back. During these eight months, the owner of the smartphone did not experience any heating issues whatsoever, even while charging. On the night that the phone exploded, the owner had connected the Mi A1 to the charger and went to bed. He was apparently jolted in the night by the explosion but decided to ignore it and went back to sleep. When he woke up in the morning, he saw that the smartphone had exploded and was severely damaged.

Also Read: Xiaomi Mi A1 review: A budget masterstroke by Xiaomi

As you can see in the images below, the protective case was burnt around the area where the battery is placed. The smartphone’s display, however, appears to be largely free of any damage. Fortunately, the smartphone was placed at some distance from the owner, so he did not sustain any injuries from the explosion. The owner of the Mi A1 has reported the incident to Xiaomi and is hoping to receive compensation from the company. As of now, Xiaomi has not issued any official statement with regards to the incident.

Own a Xiaomi Mi A1? There is No Reason to Worry

If you own a Xiaomi Mi A1, there is no need for you to panic. The Xiaomi Mi A1 was launched in India in September last year, which means it has been on the market for over a year now. This is only the first time that a Mi A1 has been reported to have exploded, which means it is an isolated case. There is no widespread issue with the batteries inside the Mi A1, so it is highly unlikely that we will hear about another Mi A1 exploding anytime soon. Isolated cases of smartphones exploding have been reported for a very long time and does not mean that the affected smartphone has a major design problem that caused the explosion. The Samsung Galaxy Note 7, of course, was an exception as a design flaw caused the battery inside the smartphone to catch fire. As a result, Samsung had to permanently discontinue the device and recall all units. After the Galaxy Note 7 fiasco, Samsung introduced an eight-point battery safety test for all its new devices.

While there is no similar battery design flaw in the Mi A1, there are still a few precautions that you can follow to ensure your safety. Whenever you notice that your smartphone is overheating while charging, stop charging it immediately. You can resume charging the phone once it has cooled down. It is also important to ensure that you only use the charger provided by the manufacturer and never sleep with your phone placed near you.