Google is the best place to find anything and anyone. You can search for your name and it will literally show you thousands of results where finding your name will be a tough job. Therefore, Google rolled out the People Card feature in India which helps users to find the exact person they are looking for.
The Google People Card is sort of a virtual business card that shows basic information about you on the top of Google results. It allows you to add a short bio, your social media profiles, a short snippet of yours. This feature is currently available in India, Kenya, Nigeria, and South Africa only as of now.
People such as Entrepreneurs, Business professionals, journalists, Influencers, job seekers, and freelancers can sign up to create their own People card on Google. It’s a good thing to create your own Google People Card, here’s how you can create your own card.
How to Create Your People Card on Google Search
Follow the steps to create your own card that will appear on Google search results.
- Open Google app on your smartphone and type “add me to search”
- At the top of the search results, you’ll find the option to “Get started”, click on this.
- Now, it will ask you to fill in your basic information such as Name, Location, About, Work, Education, Email, Website, and more. These all are required fields and you’ll have to proceed further. Make sure to fill them correctly as Google will show it on your card.
- You can also link your social media handles such as Facebook, YouTube, LinkedIn, Twitter, SoundCloud, Instagram, and Pinterest to your card.
- After filling in the email and phone number, Google will ask you if you would like to show it on your people card.
- Once you fill in all the required information, you can check the preview to see if all the information is correctly displayed. Once checked, save the card. Your Google people card will be live instantly and can be found online if you search for your name and information.
To check your People Card on Google search, just type ‘Add me to search’ from your google account. It will display your personal People Card.
How to Edit a People Card on Google Search
Editing your People Card is easier than creating the card itself on Google search. Follow the steps below to edit your card.
- Open Google Chrome on your phone, make sure that you’re logged in to your Google account.
- Type “edit my people card” on the search menu.
- The Edit option will be at the top right corner of your card.
- You will be able to see all your information and edit it, make the edits and preview it.
- Save the changes.
- That’s it, your People Card is now edited and Google will show the updated card in the result.
How to Remove a People Card from Search
If you do not wish to continue with your Google People Card and want to remove it from search results, here’s how to do it.
- Open Google search and type “Edit my people card” in the search bar, make sure that you are logged into your account.
- Go to the edit option on the top right corner of the card and click on it.
- Scroll down in the edit section, there will be a “Remove my search card from Google” option.
- Click on it, a confirmation pop-up will appear, click on Delete and your card and all the information will be removed from Google Search.
Tips to make your Google People card effective
To get the best results from your People card, you need to make it effective. Google has a few conditions which ensure that a People card is effective and hence it will prove to be a great tool to make new networks. Here are a few things you should keep in mind while filling in information on the People Card menu to get the best results.
- Make sure the information that you are filing must be your own only. Google can remove your card if it finds the information that you’ve provided on your card doesn’t match the work that you actually do.
- You should use the suggestions for fields such as “Hometown” or “Profession” to make your People card more effective. Although, you can write any field in the section.
- You should regularly update your information in the People card otherwise it could be assumed as inactive by Google and removed from the search index.
- Your Google People card should properly describe you and your profession. You cannot use unclear or someone else’s pictures. Other people should be able to recognize you when they see the image in the Google People card.
- Your People card should not relate to some form of advertisement. Words such as “best” or “affordable” cannot be used in your Google People card.
- You should not use language that is demeaning to your previous places of employment or supervisors. It must not be derogatory or vindictive towards other people or organisations.
- The People card must not incite violence or promote hate. Profane, vulgar language will not be entertained on the People card and it will be removed from the results.
- Intellectual property, as well as privacy rights, must be respected on your Google People card. You cannot claim a position or business as your own if you are not the proprietor of said business. Moreover, you cannot upload images that you don’t have the right to use or claim.
If you are confused about how Google will be able to validate your claim on the People card then you should know that Google uses other users and its own algorithmic signals to validate the claims made by the user. Hence, it will remove the People card in case of any misinformation or violation of its rules.
Thanks for reading till the end of this article. For more such informative and exclusive tech content, like our Facebook page