- A digital health ID card refers to a digital ID card with the card bearer’s health records.
- You can get a health ID card by submitting your basic details and Aadhaar, and mobile number.
- This card lets you interact with verified health service providers and healthcare professionals and receive medical prescriptions, diagnoses, and lab reports.
How we do business and transact in India has been completely changed by digitization. Technology and digitization have touched every industry, including healthcare. To digitize the healthcare system in India, the Central Government has floated the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM) or the National Digital Health Mission (NDHM).
The main objective of this mission is to issue digital health ID cards for all Indians and to assist insurance providers, hospitals, and health ID cardholders with access to health records online in a secure environment. Here is how you apply for a digital health ID and its advantages.
Table of Contents
What is a Digital Health ID Card?
A digital health ID card refers to a digital ID card with the card bearer’s health records. This card is used for a hassle-free experience when digitally accessing and sharing the card bearer’s health records.
Also Read: Masked Aadhaar Card: How to Create Masked Aadhaar Card Using Different Methods
Who can apply
Anyone interested in creating a digital health ID and wishing to have their medical records available electronically should create a digital ID card.
If you are interested in creating a digital health ID and you want your medical records to be available electronically, you should create a digital health ID card.
What is it
A randomly generated 14-digit number is used for identifying and verifying individuals’ health records. The digital health ID also allows for access to their health records across different healthcare systems.
How to Apply
You can get a health ID card by submitting your basic details and Aadhaar, and mobile number.
How does it work
With this card, you can interact with verified health service providers and healthcare professionals and receive medical prescriptions, diagnoses, and lab reports.
How does NDHM work?
The National Digital Health Mission, or NDHM, also known as the Ayushman Bharat Health Mission, was created by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare to assist with the integration of digital health infrastructure in India.
The digital health ID is linked to the NDHM, acting as a consent manager. The digital platform will want the patient’s permission to allow a seamless flow of personal health details via digital channels from the Personal Health Records module.
Here are the main functions of the NDHM.
- All information related to health services shall be provided via a mobile app along with the doctor’s details.
- All information related to the medical treatment of the digital health cardholder is stored and recorded digitally.
- X-rays, diagnostic reports, and other medical documents are stored in the holder’s account for ready reference.
- If doctors want, they can access the diagnostic reports, medical files, and treatment information of the person through the app.
- Doctors can also register as Digi Doctors along with the facility of their digital signatures.
- Anyone may voluntarily sign up for a health card.
What is the need to create a digital health ID card?
This card makes it easy to access, share and manage your medical records digitally securely. Using this card, your medical records are stored in a secure and safe environment instead of physical or traditional medical documents.
Some advantages of a digital health ID card.
- Use the mobile app for easy access to the card.
- Manage and share records to facilities, healthcare professionals and healthcare centres.
- You can deactivate/delete the digital health ID.
- Personal medical records may be accessed easily, stored in a reliable and secure environment.
Also Read: Link Pan with Aadhaar: How to Link Your PAN with Your Aadhaar Card Online
Advantages of Digital Health ID cards
Given below are the benefits of an NDHM ID card.
Digitized health records – Access your health records that have the details from admission to treatment and discharge, all paperless
- Personal Health Records (PHR)- You can link your PHR with the digital health ID or generate long-term health history.
- Access to Digi Doctors – You get access to verified Digi Doctors in a safe environment.
- Secure and private – The digital platform has been developed with strong security and encryption mechanisms. Each time you want to access your PHR, you have to give your consent.
- Consent-Based Access – Only upon providing consent is your health data shared with required participants. You may manage and revoke consent at any time.
- Easy signup process- Create your health ID card with the bare minimum details together with your Aadhaar or mobile number.
- Voluntary opt-in and opt-out – You don’t have to apply for a health ID card. Participate at your own risk, with the teams being voluntary. You may also opt out and ask to erase your data anytime.
How to Apply for NDHM health ID card registration online?
You may apply for the health ID card in various ways.
- Health ID website
- NDHM Health Records mobile app
- Participating health facilities (community health centres, public/private hospitals and health and wellness centres)
Digital health ID card registration online process
Digital health ID card can be generated by using your Aadhaar, Driving Licence or mobile number.
Here are the steps to apply online for an NDHM health card 2021 through your Aadhaar number.
- Visit the NDHM official website (https://healthid.ndhm.gov.in/) and select “Generate ID”.
- Select “Generate via Aadhaar” on the new page, enter your Aadhaar number and click on submit.
- Enter the OTP sent to your registered mobile number.
- Enter your personal information and choose a username and password to create your digital ID.
- Using the newly provided username and password, provide your reference.
- Download the digital health ID card for future reference.
Also Read: New Aadhaar Card Registration: How to Apply for Aadhaar Card Online, List of Documents Required, More
Via Driving Licence
Here are the steps to apply online for an NDHM health card 2021 through your Driving Licence (DL).
- Visit the NDHM official website (https://healthid.ndhm.gov.in/), select “Generate ID”.
- Select “Generate via Driving Licence”. A pop up comes up that says that once you provide all the details an enrolment number will be sent to you.
This enrolment number needs to be taken to a participating facility close by and you should get your digital health ID. However, if you want this immediately, you may use your Aadhaar number to generate the ID.
Via Mobile Number
If you don’t want to use your Aadhaar or DL to generate your health ID card, you can still generate the digital health ID via your mobile number.
- If you do not wish to use your Aadhaar or DL to generate your health ID click ‘here’
- Select “Generate ID”. Visit the NDHM official website (https://healthid.ndhm.gov.in/).
- There is an option to generate the health ID if you don’t have any IDs or don’t want to use IDs. Select “Click here”.
- Enter your phone number for an OTP and enter the OTP when it arrives.
- Enter your personal information and choose a username and password to create your digital health ID.
- Provide the address after logging into your newly approved account.
- Download your digital health ID card for future reference.
Documents Required for NDHM Registration
You don’t have to submit physical documents for the application for a digital health ID card. Provide the following details to generate your health ID.
- Aadhaar number
- Mobile number
- Driving Licence (for generating the enrolment number)
Anyone wishing to participate in the Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission may apply for a health ID. There are no particular criteria for generating a health ID card.
How to download a digital health ID card online?
Once you have successfully registered yourself for the health ID, you can download the digital health ID card. Here are the steps to download the health ID card online.
Upon successful registration for the health ID, download the digital health ID card. Here are the steps online to do so.
- Log in to your account through the website or mobile app, use your health ID number and date of birth, and click on submit.
- Select your ID card and click on “Download Health ID Card” to download your ID card.
How to deactivate my health ID card?
The health ID card is voluntary, and you can also opt out of the program and reactivate it when required. Here are the steps to deactivate/delete a digital health ID.
This is a voluntary card, allowing you to opt out of the programme and reactivate it when needed. Here are the steps for deactivating/deleting digital health ID.
- Step 1 – Use your health ID or PHR and date of birth to log in and click on Submit.
- Step 2 – Generate an OTP with your Aadhaar or mobile number or input the password you set to log in to your account.
- Step 3 – After logging in, click on “My Account” and choose ‘Deactivate/Delete Health ID’. Deactivation of the health ID is temporary, and your account won’t get closed; however, you may choose to delete the health ID), and click on ‘Continue’ to deactivate or delete your health ID.
Got questions about digital health ID? Here are some answers.
1) Is Aadhaar mandatory to apply for a digital health ID?
No, Aadhaar is not mandatory. You may use your mobile number to generate your health ID.
2) What is Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission –
The main aim of this programme is to develop a digital ecosystem to integrate the digital health infrastructure of the country. This mission helps close the gap between various participants of the electronic healthcare infrastructure via digital highways.
3) What is a PHR address?
Also known as Personal Health Records PHR address refers to a self-declared username needed to sign into a Health Information Exchange and Consent Manage. You may generate the PHR address when signing up for the digital health ID.
4) What is a Health Facility Registry?
HFR refers to a comprehensive digital storage facility of all health facilities in the nation. Public and private health facilities include clinics, pharmacies, diagnostic labs and hospitals, etc. This system is very safe because enrollment by health facilities is voluntary.
5) What is Healthcare Professional Registry ?
HFR refers to a comprehensive digital storage facility of registered and verified healthcare professionals in the country. Healthcare professionals can connect with patients via the digital health ecosystem.
6) Can you use any other documents instead of Aadhaar to create a health ID?
As of now, the system permits you to use your Aadhaar or mobile number to create your health ID. Creation of digital health ID via other ID documents like PAN Card, driving licence and more, will be rolled out. You may approach participating health facilities to help you to create your health ID.
7) Is my digital health ID unique?
Your digital health ID is unique to your profile, with the option to link all your medical records to your ID. in addition, you may also generate multiple health IDs to link various sets of medical records. However you must generate a single-digit health ID
8) Are my medical records safe and secure when I create my digital health ID?
Your records are not stored by the NDHM because it is recorded by healthcare information providers. Your medical documents get shared after consent over the NDHM network, with encryption for a safe and secure transfer of information between healthcare facilities.
9) Is it mandatory to apply for a digital health ID card?
Registering for a digital card via the ABDM is not mandatory. However, anyone who wants to be a part of the Ayushman Bharat Eidigal Mission, and has their medical records readily available digitally, needs to apply for the digital health ID.