Phones has become an integral part of everyone’s life. It stores a lot of private information such as photos, videos, documents, etc and its owner might not want others to access this information. Due to this, the screen lock option is available on every smartphone. This feature allows you to set a passcode on your phone which restricts other people to access your phone without verifying themselves. This passcode can be in the form of a PIN, password, or pattern.
In this article, we will discuss how you can set a screen lock on an Android or iPhone for the first time and how you can remove it. Further, we will discuss what you can do when you forget the passcode of your smartphone. Without any further ado, let’s get started.
How to Set Screen Lock
How to Set Screen Lock on Android
To set a screen lock on an Android device for the first time, follow these steps.
- Go to Settings of the phone.
- Scroll down to the Security section.
- Now, you can see various kinds of screen lock settings including Swipe, Pattern, PIN and Password. We will go with the PIN option but you can choose as per your choice.
- Click on PIN and set 4-6 digits and re-enter it for confirmation.
- Once confirmed, your screen lock will be activated.
How to Set Screen Lock on iOS
Follow the steps shown below to set a screen lock on an iOS device for the first time.
- Go to Settings on the iOS device.
- Tap on Face ID and Passcode option.
- Scroll down and tap on the Turn Passcode On button.
- Set a passcode and confirm it again.
- On the next screen, it will ask you to enter the password of your Apple ID.
- Enter the password of your Apple ID and tap on Sign In.
That’s it, your screen lock has been set for the first time on your iOS device.
How to Remove Screen Lock
How to Remove Screen Lock on Android
If you wish to remove the screen lock on an Android device, follow these steps.
- Open Settings on the phone.
- Scroll down to the Security section.
- Tap on Screen lock and enter your current PIN or password. Once verified, it will show you various lock screen options along with a None option, click on it.
- Your screen lock will be removed from your device.
How to Remove Screen Lock on iOS
The passcode on an iOS device can be removed easily by following the steps shown below.
- Open Settings on your iOS device.
- Scroll down and tap on the Face ID and Passcode menu.
- Enter your current password and once verified it will take you to the next page.
- Scroll down and tap on the Turn Passcode Off option.
- It will ask for the device password again, enter it, and remove your lock screen.
Forgot Your Pattern, PIN or Passcode, How to Recover It?
There could be a time when you don’t remember your screen lock password or PIN and all the content inside your phone is locked. Entering the wrong PIN multiple times can lock your device for a period of time. Don’t panic as you have the option to reset your passcode, let’s take a look at the methods that you can try if you forgot your screen lock password.
How to Recover Screen Lock Password on Android
Do note that this method will completely erase everything from your Android phone. Try this method if you can lose the data stored on the phone.
- Go to Google Find My Device webpage.
- Check for your device in the list and select it.
- On the left section, click on the Erase Device option.
- Confirm by clicking on the Erase option.
Once done, all the data will be erased from your phone and you will have to set up the device again. You can recover your data if it was stored in a Google account.
How to Recover Screen Lock Password on iOS
If you have an iOS device and you have forgotten your passcode, then you can easily recover it by using a computer. Follow these steps.
- Press the Volume down and Power button until the power off slider appears.
- Now, press the mentioned buttons in sequence: Volume Up, then Volume Down, and then long press the power button. Do note that you do not have to press these buttons together.
- While pressing the power button, plug the iPhone with your computer and press it until you see a computer icon on the phone.
- Locate your iPhone in the Finder section if you are using a Mac or in the iTunes section if you are using a Windows laptop.
- It will ask you to restore or update your iPhone. Click on restore and it will download the update in 15 minutes.
- Once the download is complete, exit the recovery mode and turn off your iPhone again by pressing the power button.
- Wait for the device to start and disconnect the iPhone from the computer.
Now, you will be able to unlock your iPhone without entering any password.