- Updating your passport address is important to ensure seamless travel.
- You can update your passport address online or by visiting Passport Seva Kendra.
- Make sure to carry the necessary documents and fees while updating your passport address.
If a person travels outside their country, a passport is considered one of the most crucial documents that they should possess. It serves as proof of identity, address, and date of birth, making it necessary to keep it updated. Indian citizens can obtain a passport issued by the Ministry of External Affairs. Moreover, a passport also serves an important purpose for the holder both at home and abroad while travelling since it contains their address details.
This article will provide a comprehensive discussion on the significance of updating the address in a passport. It will cover the consequences that a passport holder may face if they fail to update their address, the easy process of changing and updating the address, the minimum fee that Indian citizens must pay for the update, the essential documents required for the update, and other pertinent questions concerning updating the address in passports. Interested parties can continue reading to gain more insights into the address-updating process in Indian passports.
Why is it Important to Update Your Address in Your Passport?
Here is why you should update your address in your passport –
- Updating the address in your passport is important as it serves as proof of identity.
- The Indian government has not made it mandatory to update the address in passports.
- However, it is considered essential to keep the address updated as it can be used as proof of identity, address, or date of birth while travelling.
What are the Consequences of not Updating Your Address?
Not updating your address in your passport can have severe consequences, including:
- Inability to use your passport as proof of address.
- This may not be noticed during travel but can cause issues when needing to use your passport as address proof.
- Typically, there are no other severe consequences of not updating your address in your passport.
Also Read: Visa Status: How to Check Status of Visa Application Online Using Passport Number
How To Change Address in Passport Online via Passport Seva Website
The simplest and easiest way to change your address in a passport is online via Passport Seva Website. The process is hassle-free and lets the applicant opt for change/updating of address in their passports at their best comfort. The following are the steps that need to be followed:
- To apply for a passport, applicants must visit the official Passport Seva online portal and log into their account by clicking the “Existing user” option. If the applicant is a new user, they must click the “New User” option and complete the registration process by entering the required details. After registration, an activation mail is sent to the email address provided. Users must complete the verification process to activate their account.
- Next, the user must click on Apply for Fresh Passport/ Re-issue of Passport from the list of the mentioned tabs.
- Upon accessing the online Passport Seva portal, users will see an application form on their screen. To apply for a fresh passport or a re-issue, users must click on the relevant tab and provide the necessary details to proceed with the application process.
- Once the application form is complete, users should click on the “View Saved/Submitted Application” tab to schedule an appointment at the nearest Regional Passport Office or Passport Seva Kendra. From the existing list of time slots, users can select a preferred time for their appointment.
- To schedule an appointment at the nearest Regional Passport Office or Passport Seva Kendra, the applicant must pay an application fee using one of several payment modes, including credit cards, debit cards, internet banking, or SBI challan.
- Once the payment process is complete, the applicant should print the Application Receipt tab, as it will be required during their visit to the Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office.
Documents Required for Changing Your Address in Your Passport
The essential documents that are required by an Indian if he/she is meaning to change or update their address in the passport are listed below:
- The original old passport of the holder.
- Self-attested copies of any validity extension page for short-validity passports.
- A copy of the online-placed application for the change and update of address.
- Self-attested copies of the first two and last two pages of the old passport.
- Issuing authority information of the passport.
- Self-attested copies of any observation page made by Passport.
- Copy of the challan or payment receipt for the change request.
- A self-attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- A new address proof, which could be any of the following: Electricity bill, Aadhar card, Telephone bill, Voter ID card, Gas bill, Registered Rental Agreement, Water bill, Income Tax Returns, Photocopy of the passbook of an existing bank account.
- A copy of the holder’s spouse’s passport (first and last page including family details).
- A certificate from the current employer on letterhead.
- Passport copy of the applicant’s parents (first and last page including family details) if the applicant is a minor.
- A pension payment order for retired government officials changing their address.
- A No Objection Certificate (NOC) or a Prior Intimation Letter (PI) for Government Bodies/Public Sector Undertaking/Statutory Bodies, as mentioned in Annexure M and Annexure N, respectively.
- A declaration affirming the particulars mentioned in the passport application, as prescribed in Annexure H, if the applicant is a minor.
Fees for Change of Address in Passport
Age of Applicant
|Passport validity||Pages||Normal Charge||Tatkal charge|
Less than 15 years
|The passport is valid for 10 years or until the holder reaches 18 years of age.||36||Rs. 1000||Rs. 3000|
|15-18 years||The validity period is either 5 years or until the holder reaches the age of 18, whichever comes first.||36||Rs. 1000||Rs. 3000|
|15-18 years||The validity period is 10 years.||36||Rs. 1500||Rs. 3500|
|15-18 years||The validity period is 10 years.||60||Rs. 2000||Rs. 4000|
18 years and Above
|The validity period is 10 years.||36||Rs. 1500||Rs. 2000|
|18 years and Above||The validity period is 10 years.||60||Rs. 2000||Rs. 4000|
Tips for a Smooth and Successful Application Process
Certain tips and things that should be kept in mind by the applicants trying to update/change the address in their passports are mentioned below:
- Ensure you have all the necessary documents for updating process to avoid delays.
- Fill in valid details on the application form for an address change, as they cannot be changed later.
- Print the Application Receipt after submitting the online form for address change.
- Bring proof of scheduled appointment and all required documents and receipts to the Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office.
- Arrive on time for an appointment to avoid having to reapply and book another appointment.
Things to Consider Before Changing Your Address in Your Passport
Some of the things that should be considered before changing of address in the passport are mentioned below:
- Carry and collect all the important documents needed for the application process, including a Copy of the online application original passport, Electricity bill, Gas connection proof, Aadhaar card, copy of the payment of receipt, Income tax assessment order, Voter ID, Current address proof, rent agreement, Water bill, Passbook of an active bank account, and Spouse passport.
- Arrange the necessary document before going through the application process if the applicant lacks any of these documents.
- Keep in mind that the change/updating of address process in the passports comes with a certain amount of fee and the applicant must conclude with their application by submitting a required fee.
- Note that the change of address process is not entirely an online process, and the applicant will have to book an appointment and visit the Passport Seva Kendra or Regional Passport Office.
1) When is the best time to change your address in your passport?
The best time to change your address in your passport is when you have moved to a new residence. If you are planning to move to a new address then it is not the right time to go with the updating process, the applicant should submit an online application for the address change only when he/she has switched to a new resident.
2) Will changing your address affect your travel plans or visa applications?
No, changing your address in your passport will not affect your travel visa application but the applicant will have to wait for the passport authority to issue him a new passport with the following changed/updated address. So, it is a time-consuming process; after the application gets submitted and the appointment at the passport office goes smoothly, the applicant must wait for a certain number of days to get his new passport. If he/she plans to travel abroad, they will have to delay their plans according to the dates of their passport address updating process.
3) How long does it take to change your address in your passport?
It usually takes up to three to four weeks once an applicant opts for the passport address updating process. However, if a user wants a quicker process, then he/she can opt for Tatkal passport services. However, they will have to pay some additional fees for the Tatkal process.
4) What happens if you move again after changing your address in your passport?
If you have moved again after changing your address in your passport, then you can again apply for the address updating process by following the standard application process and within three to four weeks the user can get his new passport made with the updated address details.
5) Can you change your address in your passport if you are living abroad?
If a user wants to change/update his/her address in their passport while living abroad, then the applicant just needs to contact the respective Indian consulate in their country of residence. An appointment needs to be scheduled and the applicant needs to submit an application fee followed by a set of important documents including a date of birth certificate, copies of the first two pages of the passport, current residential address, Proof of address Indian home address, etc.
6) What if my passport has already been dispatched before I apply for a change of address?
If a passport already gets dispatched before a user applies for a change of address, then the applicant should then apply for a new passport with an updated address. Then the applicant will obtain their new passport which will have their updated address and a new identification number.
7) Do I need to provide any proof of my new address while applying for a change of address in my passport?
The applicants must provide an Aadhaar letter/card or the e-Aadhaar (an electronically generated letter from the website of UIDAI), this will serve as the Proof of Address (POA) and Proof of Photo-Identity (POI).