Airtel is one of the largest telecom operators in India. The company has a base of millions of customers who are using both its prepaid and postpaid connections. The telecom operator has always stressed delivering premium features and good connectivity with its services and it is continuously making efforts to make the experience more convenient for its customers. Naturally, with the kind of services it offers, many customers want to port their mobile number from other operators like Reliance Jio, Vodafone Idea or BSNL to Airtel. But how do you do it exactly? In this article, we are going to explain the whole process of porting to Airtel from other operators in simple steps. So, let’s get started.
How to Port to Airtel Prepaid from Reliance Jio, Vi, BSNL
Airtel gives an option to buy a prepaid SIM and port it from other operators from its official website. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Go to Airtel official website, click on the Prepaid section and then click on New Prepaid SIM. Alternatively, you can go to this link.
- Now, you have to select the First Recharge pack. Currently, the company is offering Rs 297 and Rs 497 prepaid plans for those who wish to buy a new Airtel prepaid SIM or port from other operators.
- After that, you need to fill in all the details including name, a mobile number which you want to port, location, and house/flat number.
- Click on the Submit button and you are good to go.
Airtel Port Number and SMS Format
You will get a call from Airtel customer care service and an executive will come down to your address to collect all the KYC details. However, it is important to note that you still need to apply for a unique porting code. In order to do that, you need to send an SMS Port <space> 99XXXXXXXX and send it to 1900. You will receive the code via SMS from 1901. Since the code is valid only for 4 days, it is advisable that you generate the UPC code when the executive comes to your home.
How to Port to Airtel Postpaid from Reliance Jio, Vi, BSNL
If you are looking for a new Airtel postpaid SIM or want to port from other operators like Reliance Jio, Vodafone Idea or BSNL to Airtel postpaid, the company also gives you an option. The company has revealed that postpaid users will get the new SIM and all the KYC documents will be collected from their homes. Here’s how you can do it:
- Go to the Airtel website and click on the Postpaid section. Alternatively, you can click on this link.
- Select the postpaid plan you want to go with. Currently, there are two postpaid plans of Rs 499 and Rs 999.
- Once done, click on the Buy button and it will take you to another page.
- Fill up the details like your name, mobile number, address, and more. Once done, click on the Submit button.
Just like a prepaid connection, you will get a call from the company’s executive and you can fix the time and date slot to get the new Airtel postpaid connection.
Documents Required to Port to Airtel from Other Networks
You need to submit proof of identity and proof of address in order to port from other networks. Here’s a list of all the documents that are valid for porting to Airtel.
|For Proof of Identity (All Identity proof to have photo)||For Proof of Address|
|Arms License||Arms License|
|Driving License||Driving License*|
|Election Commission ID Card||Election Commission ID Card|
|Ration Card with Photo, for the person whose photo is affixed *||Ration Card with address *|
|CGHS/ECHS Card||CGHS/ECHS Card|
|Certificate of address having Photo issued by MP/MLA/Group-A Gazetted Officer in letter head||Certificate of address having Photo issued by MP/MLA/Group-A Gazetted Officer in letter head|
|Certificate of address with photo from Govt. recognized educational institutions (for students only)||Certificate of address with photo from Govt. recognized educational institutions (for students only)|
|Certificate of photo identity issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas)||Certificate of address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (for rural areas)|
|Income Tax PAN Card||Water Bill (not older than last three months)|
|Photo Credit Card||Telephone Bill of Fixed line (not older than last three months)|
|Address card with photo issued by Deptt. Of Posts, Govt. of India||Electricity Bill (not older than last three months)|
|Smart card issued by CSD, Defence/ Paramilitary||Income Tax Assessment Order|
|Current passbook of Post Office/any scheduled bank having photo||Vehicle Registration Certificate|
|Photo Identity Card (of Central Govt./PSU or State Govt./PSU only)||Registered Sale/Lease Agreement|
|Photo Identity Card issued by Govt. recognized educational institutions (for students only)||Address card with photo issued by Deptt. Of Posts, Govt. of India|
|Cast and Domicile Certificate with photo issued by State Govt. like Assam and other states||Current Passbook of Post Office/any Schedule Bank|
|Pensioner Card having photo||Photo Identity Card having address (of Central Govt./PSU or State Govt./PSU only)|
|Freedom Fighter Card having photo||Credit Card Statement (not older than last three months)|
|Kissan Passbook having photo||Cast and Domicile Certificate with address and photo issued by State Govt. like Assam and other states|
|Pensioner’s Card with address||Aadhaar Card/e-Aadhaar letter downloaded from UIDAI website|
|Freedom Fighter Card with address||Sri Lankan Refugees Identity Card|
|Kissan Passbook with address|
|Aadhaar Card/e-Aadhaar letter downloaded from UIDAI website|
|Sri Lankan Refugees Identity Card|
How Much Time Does It Take to Switch Your SIM to Airtel?
As per the latest guidelines from the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), the whole process of generating port-in code and transferring from one operator to another only takes around 48 hours if the transfer of number is within the same state. However, if the number is from another state, then it takes 4 days to port from other operators to Airtel. Moreover, it is important to note that for Jammu and Kashmir and North-Eastern states, the port-in will take 15 days as per regulatory norms.
New MNP (Mobile Number Portability) Guidelines
TRAI introduced new mobile number portability guidelines in 2019 that are actually beneficial for the customers. Take a closer look:
- The overall time of porting a number within the same state has been reduced from 96 hours to 48 hours.
- However, there is no change in the porting timeline for the national MNP.
- The Unique porting code (UPC) will be generated only after validation of the user’s account. Moreover, UPC will be delivered within 5 minutes of placing a request.
- The validity of UPC has been reduced from 15 days to 4 days.
- One can now cancel the port-out request within 24 hours of document submission.
- In case of a postpaid connection where the payment is overdue with the previous operator, it will be disconnected from the current operator after the port-in is done.
- However, the number can be only reactivated only if the payment is done within 60 days of service disconnection.
Thanks for reading till the end of this article. For more such informative and exclusive tech content, like our Facebook page