Facebook is one of the biggest social media platforms across the globe. The platform has over a billion users around the world and naturally, it becomes the target for many scammers, hackers, and more. There are several different ways hackers use to access a Facebook account. It might be through a phishing scam or they might get access to your sensitive information. So, if you are one of those whose account has been hacked, don’t worry we are here to help you. In this article, we have listed the detailed version of how to report and recover your hacked Facebook account along with some important tips and tricks in order to secure your account.
How to Know If Your Facebook Account is Hacked?
There are different ways to tell if your Facebook account is hacked or not. First of all, you need to check whether there is unauthorised access to your Facebook account. In order to do that, you need to do the following:
- Go to your Facebook profile and press on the hamburger menu on the top-right.
- Go to Settings and head towards Security and Login. There you will see an option to see the devices which are logged in with your Facebook account.
- There, you can check for devices that are trustworthy. If you see any device which is suspicious, clock on Not You? Log Out option.
That being said, there would be other things that lead you to believe that your Facebook account is hacked. These might include:
- Your email address or password has been changed.
- Your name or birthday has been changed.
- Your account is sending friend requests to people you don’t know.
- There are posts on your profile, which you didn’t create.
How to Report and Recover Your Facebook Account
Facebook allows you to report and recover your account if it is hacked or misused. Here’s what you need to do if your Facebook account is hacked:
- Go to facebook.com/hacked.
- The first thing you need to do is select from the list of reasons. Once done, click on Continue.
- The page will take you to secure your account settings. Click on Get Started. The tool will analyse all the apps, password, email address, and more.
- Once this is completed, it will provide an option to change the password and review your email address.
- Click on Continue and follow the on-screen instructions to recover your Facebook account.
That being said, if the email address associated with your Facebook account is changed, you will still recover it. When there is a change in the email address, Facebook sends a message to your old email ID with a special link. One can click that link to reverse the email address change and secure your account.
How to Report a Facebook Account That is Impersonating You?
There are times when you see a Facebook profile that is exactly like yours. Well, this is a sheer case of impersonation or simply put fake accounts. If you or your friends found out such an account, here’s what you need to do:
- Go to the profile of the account that is impersonating you.
- If you cannot find it, search with the name or ask your friends to send the link of the profile.
- Click on the profile and then click on three dots on the cover photo.
- Tap on the Report button and follow the on-screen instructions to report for the impersonation of your account.
Tips to Make Your Facebook Account Secure
It is vital to make sure that you secure your Facebook account. There are some tips and tricks through which you can do it. Here’s what you need to do:
Use Two-factor Authentication
Facebook has introduced a two-factor authentication feature that helps you to protect your Facebook account. The feature allows you to enter a special login code to confirm your login attempt each time when you access your Facebook account from a mobile device or from a browser. In order to activate this feature, do this:
- Go to Security and login settings
- Scroll down to Two-factor authentication and click on Edit.
- Choose the desired security method and follow the on-screen instructions to activate this feature.
Get Alerts About Unrecognised Logins
Facebook also allows users to set alerts about unrecognised logins from their account. This security feature basically alerts when someone tries to log in from a device or web browser that is not from you. The alerts give you information about the location from which the login attempt was made. Here’s how you can enable it:
- Go to Settings and click on Security and Login Settings.
- Scroll down to Get alerts about unrecognised logins and click on Edit.
- Choose where you want to receive your alerts, such as from your email account or with a Facebook notification from a recognised device.
- Click on Save Changes and the feature will be activated.
Log out From Your Account When You Use a Computer
It is always a good thing to log out from the computer when you are done with Facebook. Most of us tend to forget to log out from our office computer or laptop, which may allow someone to hack into our account.
Always Choose a Strong Password
It is important to use a strong password for your Facebook account. One should create a password that is easy to remember but difficult to guess for others. One should avoid using your email address, phone number, date of birth or more for creating a password. It is always advisable to use a combination of letters, numbers and special characters to create a strong password.
Never Share Your Login Details With Anyone
It is one of the most important tips of all time: Never ever share your login details with anyone. This is especially the case when you are online. Scammers may create fake websites that look eerily similar to Facebook and then they will tell you to log in with your email and password. Always make sure that you are using the right website. If you have any doubt, simply type www.facebook.com into your browser to access Facebook.
Always Check for Malware or Virus
It is important to keep an eye out for malicious software on your system. Always make sure to scan your computer for viruses, malware, and more and remove it on time so that your sensitive information remains safe.
Thanks for reading till the end of this article. For more such informative and exclusive tech content, head over to our Facebook page