Update: Our reporter, Rohan Pal, visited Mr. Gulati to check the affected OnePlus Nord 2 and has captured pictures using his smartphone to double check the veracity of Gulati’s claims. Attached are the pictures for proof. He further learnt that Gulati hasn’t filed an FIR against the company yet and intends to do so on 11th September, Saturday. We will keep our readers updated on the progress.
Original story as follows..
OnePlus Nord 2, the company’s latest premium mid-range smartphone, is in the news again. A Twitter user named Gaurav Gulati claims that his Nord 2 caught fire and later exploded while the device was resting idle. This is the second reported incident where a Nord 2 smartphone was allegedly involved in a blast.
Images shared by Gulati reveal that the device is completely damaged from the front and back. When MySmartPrice reached out, Gulati confirmed that the phone was in his black lawyer’s robe when he felt something hot in his pocket. Moments later, Gulati threw his robe away after seeing smoke come out of the device. The phone later caught on fire and exploded inside an air-conditioned court chamber, Gulati added.
The victim further clarified that the device was not on charge. He confirmed with MySmartPrice that the phone had about 90 per cent of battery left and was not being used before the incident occurred. Following the tweet, OnePlus reached out to Gulati, asking him to submit the device. However, Gulati said he will take the legal route and submit the device to the police by filing an official complaint against OnePlus India.
In addition, the Delhi-based advocate said he will also complain to the consumer court and bring an injunction to block the sale of the phone in India. Gulati, during his conversation with MySmartPrice, said he has suffered injuries around the stomach area. “They (OnePlus) were quite insensitive to injuries and trauma I have suffered,” Gulati said.
What did OnePlus say?
OnePlus officials got in touch with Gulati after he shared the images on social media and via Twitter DM. The company not only assured assistance but also offered to compensate Gulati. The victim refused to accept the compensation. “What is the worth of life of a person if he died by leaving his survivors. It is worthless. We have already decided to file damages against the company in the court of law. If they are ready to compensate, they can make a written agreement in the public domain or we will pursue as per law and ask them to discontinue the device OnePlus Nord 2 5G with immediate effect,” Gulati told MySmartPrice.
Corrigendum: In our initial report, we’d stated that OnePlus offered to compensate Gulati as per his statement. However, that is incorrect. And, as per their official statement, OnePlus has confirmed it hasn’t offered any compensation and the company intends to investigate the claim first.
Gulati firmly believes that OnePlus is running away from its liabilities and making fake accusations to cover the fault. Not only does he demand a ban of the sale but also wants OnePlus to recall the sold units for inspection.
We also reached out to OnePlus India following the incident. The company stated that the individual refused to hand over the device for further diagnosis. “Last evening, an individual notified us about an alleged blast case for the OnePlus Nord 2 on Twitter, and our team immediately reached out to this individual to verify the legitimacy of the claim. We take every claim such as this very seriously out of concern for user safety. However, despite multiple attempts to analyse the device, including a visit to the premises earlier today to examine it in the individual’s presence, he has so far denied us the opportunity to perform a proper diagnosis. Under such circumstances, it is impossible for us to verify the legitimacy of this claim or address this individual’s demands for compensation.”
Two more incidents were reported previously. However, the second reported case turned out to be fake. OnePlus issued a statement saying that this alleged case was false and in no way involved any OnePlus product.
In the first reported case of the Nord 2 exploding, the company said that the damage was caused by an isolated incident involving external factors and not due to any manufacturing or product issue. The company further stated that it will support the consumer and address their concerns.
In continuation, OnePlus said that its products undergo “thorough quality and safety tests, including various levels of pressure and impact tests, to ensure they are up to industry-leading standards and remain safe to use.”
We are following the current OnePlus Nord 2 catching on fire story closely and are in touch with Gulati as well. We shall update the story where there’s a new development.
Reporting by Shubham Dutt and Rohan Pal