Tatkal tickets are tickets offered by IRCTC for passengers looking for immediate travel. These tickets can be booked from the IRCTC website according to the Tatkal booking timings.
Tatkal bookings can be made only after the booking window starts, and you need to book the Tatkal booking just as the booking window opens.
This article discusses everything you need to know about Tatkal booking timings, how to book Tatkal tickets, and more!
Tatkal Booking Timings: When To Book Tatkal Tickets?
You cannot book Tatkal tickets anytime you want. IRCTC opens the booking window for Tatkal tickets one day before the journey at specific times as follows:
- AC classes – Tatkal booking opens at 10 AM, one day before the journey.
- Non-AC classes – Tatkal booking opens at 11 AM, one day before the journey.
You need to book the Tatkal tickets when the booking opens, as the tickets are allotted first come, first serve basis, and it usually runs out in seconds.
IRCTC Tatkal Booking Charges
As per the official website of Indian Railways, here are the Tatkal booking charges:
|Class of Travel||Minimum Tatkal Charges (in Rs.)||Maximum Tatkal Charges
|Minimum Distance for charge(in Km)|
|Reserve Second sitting (2S)||10.00||15.00||100|
|AC Chair Car||125.00||225.00||250|
|AC 3 Tier||300.00||400.00||500|
|AC 2 Tier||400.00||500.00||500|
Things To Note Before Booking A Tatkal Ticket
These are the things you should keep in your mind before booking a Tatkal ticket:
- You should have an IRCTC account.
- You should be logged in to your IRCTC account.
- You can create a Master List with passengers’ details for easier booking.
- You should have the ID Card Type and ID Card Number ready with you before the booking.
- And most importantly, you should book on time, not a minute after the booking starts.
How To Book Tatkal Ticket Using IRCTC Website?
Here are the steps for booking a Tatkal ticket using the IRCTC website:
- Login to your IRCTC account.
- Select the To Station and From Station now.
- Select the journey date.
- Click on the “Search” button.
- Now, you’ll be taken to the train list page.
- Select “Tatkal” under the Select Quota option.
- Select the “Modify” option.
- The list will refresh with Tatkal options.
- Find the train you want to book and click on the class on the train you want to see the availability of seats.
- If seats are available, click on the “Book Now” option.
- Enter the details of the passengers, such as:
- ID Card Type
- ID Card No
- Berth Preference
- Select the options such as “Consider for Auto Upgradation” and “Book only if confirmed berths are allotted” according to your preference.
- Enter the captcha given.
- Click on the “Next” button.
- Select the payment mode.
- Click on the “Make Payment” button.
- Complete the payment.
- Take a print or save the pdf of the ticket details that appears after making the payment.
How To Book Tatkal Ticket Using IRCTC App?
Here’s how you can book a Tatkal ticket using the IRCTC app:
- Login to the IRCTC App.
- Click on the Train icon.
- Now click on the “Book Ticket” option.
- Select the From and To locations, Class, Quota, and Departure Date.
- Now click on the “Search Trains” button.
- Select the Quota option.
- Select Tatkal.
- Select the Train and the Class.
- Click on the Passenger Details option.
- Login to your account when asked.
- On the next page, Enter the Passenger Details.
- Click on Review Journey Details.
- Make the payment to book your Tatkal Tickets.
How To Get A Confirmed Tatkal Ticket?
You must be as fast as possible to get a confirmed Tatkal ticket. As mentioned earlier, Tatkal Tickets are issued on a first-come, first-serve basis.
So you need to be the first to book the tickets, and you cannot waste time entering the passengers’ names and other details while booking a ticket.
You can make a Master List on the IRCTC website to prefill the passenger details while booking a Tatkal. Here’s how you make a Master List on the IRCTC website:
- Login to your IRCTC account.
- Under My Account, select “Add / Modify Master List” under the My Profile option.
- On the next page, select the passenger type first.
- Then enter these details:
- Date of Birth
- Berth Preference
- Food Choice
- Senior Citizen Concession
- Id Card Type
- Id Card Number
- Now, click on the “Submit” button.
- The newly added passenger will be shown under Saved Passengers List.
- Add as many passengers to the Master list as you want by following these steps.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the time limit for Tatkal booking?
Tatkal tickets can be booked one day in advance, excluding the journey date from the train’s originating station.
Can Tatkal be booked two days before?
A Tatkal ticket can be booked two days before, only if the train starts the journey a day before. You can only book a Tatkal ticket a day in advance, excluding the journey date.
Is Tatkal a confirmed ticket?
A Tatkal ticket is not always a confirmed ticket. Tatkal is a quota of tickets released by Indian Railways meant for users who book on short notice. As the demand is very high for Tatkal tickets, you do not always get confirmed Tatkal tickets. It is allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Can Tatkal tickets be refunded?
As per IRCTC policy, no refunds will be given on the cancellation of confirmed Tatkal tickets.