Whenever we think of videos, the only platform that comes to mind is YouTube. The platform, which was created in 2005 by three former PayPal employees, was bought by Google in November 2006. Since then, it has become a one-stop solution to watch all the video content including your favourite songs, web series, DIY videos, and more. It is true that YouTube is full of great content, however, due to patch internet connection, it sometimes becomes a frustrating thing. Hence, many people prefer to download videos from YouTube to watch them offline on PC or mobile. YouTube video download feature is available on a plethora of online websites and apps but choosing the best tool that offers an ad-free interface, high quality download options, etc. is a tedious job.
YouTube gives you an option to download high-quality videos through its official application, however, you can only view them in the app and cannot share them with others using other apps like WhatsApp and more. That said, there are a couple of workarounds that allow you to download YouTube videos in MP4 format, which you can share as well. In this article, we are going to show the best possible ways to download YouTube videos in MP4 format using different tools and apps.
YouTube officially supports 13 video formats that include, MOV, MPEG4, MP4, AVI, WMV, MPEGPS, FLV, 3GPP, WebM, DNxHR, ProRes, CineForm, and HEVC (h265). To save videos from YouTube, we have multiple online tools which are free to use.
*Editor’s note: Any third-party site or app that allows you to download videos from any of these apps are against the legal policies of YouTube, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Only download videos for personal offline viewing under unavoidable circumstances and any distribution of these downloaded videos for any commercial benefit can be penalised by any of these companies.
Best YouTube Video Download Tools Available Online
- VLC Media Player
VLC Media Player: The Best YouTube to MP4 Video Downloader App for Windows PC and Mac
You can also download YouTube videos using the popular VLC Media Player. Most of us already prefer using VLC for playing videos on the desktop. The application also helps you to download your favourite YouTube video with some easy steps. Here’s how you can download it:
- First, you need to go to YouTube on your browser and search for the video you want to download. Then copy the URL of the video.
- Now, open the VLC application on your Windows PC or Mac and then click on Media from the top menu.
- Go to the ‘Open Network Stream’ option. Alternatively, you can press ‘CTL+N’. Paste the URL link and click on ‘Play’.
4. Once done, the YouTube video will start playing on the application. Now, click on ‘Tools’ on the top of the screen and select ‘Media Information’.
5. In the ‘Media Information’, you will find the ‘Location’ bar at the bottom. Select the select and copy it.
6. You then need to go to your browser and paste the link in the URL bar and press enter.
7. The link will redirect it to the page where the same will be playing. Click on the three-dot at the bottom of the video and select ‘Download’. The video will be downloaded on your Windows PC or Mac as an MP4 file.
Key Features of VLC Media Player
- Easy to use application that is widely available
- Downloads YouTube videos in MP4 file format
- Availability on Windows and Mac
Savieo: The Best YouTube Video Downloader with Easy-To-Use Interface for PC or Laptop
There are a plethora of websites that allow you to download YouTube videos with ease. In this article, we are going with savieo.com, which gives you different options to download videos from YouTube. One can also convert YouTube videos to M4A dash audio format and download videos in MP4 format. Here’s how you can download it:
- Go to the YouTube desktop website and search for the video you want to download.
- Copy the URL link of the video and now open savieo.com.
- Now, at the center of the page, you will find a field to enter the URL. Simply paste the link and click on Download.
- You will be shown various resolutions to choose from; select the resolution you want to download.
- The video will be converted and you can easily download it without much hassle.
Key Features of Savieo:
- Allows downloading videos with up to 1080p resolution
- Support for Dash Video and Dash Audio downloads
TubeMate: The Best Video Downloader to Save Videos from YouTube on Android and iOS Smartphones
Although the official YouTube app gives you an option to download the video to your smartphone, you cannot simply share it with your friends on different apps like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger. However, there are few applications that allow you to download YouTube videos on your smartphone. One such app is TubeMate. The app is only available for Android devices and it can be easily side-loaded via its official website. However, it is important to note that there is no such app for iOS that allows you to download YouTube videos directly. So, if you are an Android user, you can follow these steps:
- Go to the official website of TubeMate and download the apk file from the site.
- Then go to Settings > Apps and Tap on Menu Icon. Tap on Special Access and then tap Install unknown apps to turn this setting on.
- Now, simply install the application on your device. Once done, open the app and give the requisite permissions.
- The app will show a short tutorial on how to use the features.
- Once done, you can simply search for the video you want to download. On the app, you will find a red download button at the bottom right. Tap on it.
You will be asked to choose the video quality you want to download. Select the quality and tap on the Download to save the video on your device.
Key Features of TubeMate App
- Light in weight
- Pause and download option
- Fast download mode with multiple connections
- MP3 download option
Addoncrop: The Best Chrome Extension to Download and Save YouTube Videos on PC or Laptop (Hack)
You can also download YouTube videos using the Google Chrome extension, though there are not many options. Google has recently rolled out a regulation that now not all allows extensions to download videos from YouTube. However, there is one way through which you can download the videos. Here’s how you can:
- Go to Google Chrome store and search for Crosspilot extension.
- Install the extension on your browser and then open it. You will see the add-on section. Click on it.
- It will take you to the addoncrop.com website. There search for YouTube Video Downloader.
- In order to add this to your browser, click the Download button and follow the on-screen instructions to add it.
- Once it is installed. You can simply go to YouTube and search for the video you want to download.
- There you will have a Video download option just before the ‘Like’ button. From there you can select the video quality you want to download.
- Select the desired quality and click on Download tap to save the video on your computer.
Key Features of Addoncrop
- Option to download videos with up to 1080p resolution
- Dash video and audio downloads
- Support for downloading embedded videos
- Option to capture screenshot of YouTube videos in high quality
There are also a few more best extensions for Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Opera, Mozilla FireFox browsers that can help in downloading videos from YouTube.
YouTube Playlist Download: How to Download and Save YouTube Videos in Bulk
There are different applications and websites that allow you to download the entire YouTube playlist on your device. In this article, we are going to talk about the 4K Video Downloader application for desktop. The app allows users to download multiple YouTube videos with ease. Furthermore, one can also download videos from popular video-sharing platforms like Facebook and more. Here’s how you can download a playlist using this application:
- Go to 4Kdownload.com and download the application on your desktop.
- Install the application on your desktop or PC and open it.
- Now go to the YouTube website and search for the playlist you want to download.
- Copy the link of the playlist you want to download and paste it into the application.
- Now, the app will search for all the videos and you can download them with ease.
However, it is important to note that the 4K Video Downloader application only allows you to download 10 videos from the playlist with its free version. You can upgrade it to Premium to download more videos using the application.
How to Download YouTube Videos on Reliance Jio Phone?
Reliance Jio Phone is one of the most popular feature phones in the market. The feature phone comes loaded with Kai OS operating system, which allows you to operate apps like YouTube and more. The YouTube video app on KaiOS gives you an option to download videos right from the application and save it for offline viewing. So, follow these steps to download a YouTube Video on your Jio Phone. However, before moving forward, make sure to download and install the latest version of the app and operating system on your Jio Phone.
- Open the JioStore app and search for a YouTube application. Download the latest version of the YouTube app from the store.
- Open the YouTube app and search for the video you want to download.
- Click on the left button right next to the Search button. You will see the URL of the video you want to download.
- Paste the video URL in the internet browser and hit enter.
- Now, in order to download it, you need to add ‘SS’ at the beginning of the YouTube URL.
- Once done, you will be redirected to another website that provides the same content with an option to download the video as you scroll down.
- Click on it and select the video quality to download the YouTube video on your Jio Phone.
How to Download YouTube Videos Using Official App on Mobile Phones
YouTube official application on Android and iOS helps give you the option to download videos for offline viewing. Users can follow these simple steps to download the video:
- Open the YouTube app and search for the video you want to download.
- Tap on the three-dot symbol next to the video search results and select the ‘Download’ option.
- You can simply play the video first and tap on the Download button below the title.
- Before the start of the download process, you will be asked to select the video quality. One can choose between 144p and up to 1080p or higher to download the video.
- You can watch the download video in the Library section under the Downloads tab.
Interestingly, one can also delete the videos from the same place by just tapping on the three-dots and then select ‘Delete from the downloads’ to delete them from your smartphone.
How to Download YouTube Shorts Videos on Your Mobile Phone?
YouTube recently announced a new section on its platform known as YouTube Shorts. The feature basically allows users to post short videos from their YT channel to the application. The ‘YouTube Shorts’ is similar to what we have seen in Instagram Reels or TikTok. However, unlike Instagram Reels, there are not many apps or downloader websites available to save or download the YouTube Shorts videos from the application. However, there is a workaround through which you can still download YouTube Shorts videos on your smartphone. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- Open YouTube application on your Android smartphone or iPhone
- Go to the YouTube Shorts section from the homepage of the YouTube application. Search for the short video you want to download.
- Now, click on the sound of the video, which is right next to the channel name.
- You will be taken to the audio link along with the videos posted using the same audio.
- Select the Arrow button just next to the channel name and it will open the video on the YouTube application.
- Now, simply copy the video link and use either the TubeMate application (Android) or the downloader website that we discussed above to simply download the YouTube Short videos.
How to Save Videos from YouTube Stories on Your Phone?
YouTube has also introduced a new YouTube Stories feature on its application. This is once again very similar to Instagram or Facebook Stories. Creators can easily post Stories on your YT channel or promote an upcoming video or show BTS shoots, and more like that. And just like YouTube Shorts, you cannot download or save YouTube Stories on your smartphone as YouTube doesn’t show the URL of the story. But, you don’t need to worry as we have come up with a way through which you can easily save a YouTube video:
- Open the YouTube app and go to the Stories section.
- Now simply search for the Story you want to download and open your native screen recorder. You can also download third-party screen recorders from the app store.
- Record the video of the YouTube Story and save it on your device.
For YouTube Creators: How to Download a Copy of Your Own Video from YouTube Studio?
If you are a YouTube creator, you can easily download a copy of your own video from YouTube. The YouTube Studio application gives you an option to download copies of the video uploaded on the platform. In order to do that, you need to follow these steps:
- Go to studio.youtube.com and login into your YouTube account.
- Search for the video you want to download and click on the three-dot menu right next to the video.
- There you will see different options like Edit Title, View on YouTube, and more. You will also find the ‘Download’ button from the option.
- Click on the ‘Download’ button and your video will be downloaded in MP4 format. However, it is important to note that it will only download in 720p resolution.
Best 4K Video Downloader: How to Download 4K Videos from YouTube Free on PC or Laptop
There is also an option to download YouTube videos in 4K resolution. Users can choose the 4K Video downloader tool to download videos in 4K. The software is completely free to use and one can also download full playlists along with other types of videos like 3D and 360-degree. In order to download 4K videos from YouTube, you need to follow these steps:
- Download and install the 4K Video Downloader tool from here.
- Now search for the YouTube video, which you want to download in 4K resolution. You can check for the resolution by clicking on Settings > Quality. Once you select the video, copy the video link.
- Open the 4K Video Downloader application on your desktop and click on the Paste link button on the top-left corner.
- The software will get the information about the YouTube video. Select the video quality to 4K and simply download it. The video will be saved on your PC.
Key Features of 4K Video Downloader
- Option to download 3D videos from YouTube
- Support for all popular video streaming websites
- Option to download private YouTube videos
- Option to extract YouTube subtitles
- Option to download YouTube playlists and channels
- App available for Windows, macOS and Ubuntu PCs
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Does YouTube Support 8K Video Playback?
Yes, YouTube does support 8K video playback. Users can easily upload the footage in 8K resolution (up to 7680 x 4320 pixels). YouTube then processes it and plays it on any device that supports 8K resolution. However, there are not many screens available in the market that support 8K resolution.
Thanks for reading till the end of this article. For more such informative and exclusive tech content, head over to our Facebook page